.30-06 vs a couple of 7mm mags...

BF375":n2653cug said:
Ive got rifles here chambered for 7 Rem Mag, 30/06, 270 and 7mm Mashburn Super.

I'll use any of them. I am kind of ambivalent when it comes to cartridges and don't see any magic in any of them.

Everybody knows the 30/06 kills everything. :)

Yeah, and bullets from the 270 bounce off elk and moose. :shock: It is a middling deer rifle at best. :mrgreen:

eccf7ff3400e8c6b9345b3232bb87677.jpg

This moose must have died from shame of being shot with 270!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thebear_78":3kddbj5w said:
eccf7ff3400e8c6b9345b3232bb87677.jpg

Poor thing. Yeah, that happens quite regularly with those poor critters. :lol: You know I'm pulling your leg.

Or did it die from laughter after being hit by a lowdown .270? LOL

HawkeyeSATX a.k.a. Bryce

Well said, not opposed to long range shooting, I am opposed to shooting farther away when a closer shot was attainable. Makes me wonder at how many long shots are taken nowadays where there isn't a follow up because the shooter thought he/she missed and the distance to find out was so great, they said screw it.

I just don't believe many folks even try a shot beyond 300yds. Mostly, 200 to 250 is a long way out there, with 150yds being "about average". it doesn't hurt anything to hammer a deer with a 7mm Rem Mag at closer range, and yes, I do agree that beyond 300yd, a good 7mm magnum does give an advantage. However, when I was growing up in SE Texas, it took me over 20yrs to even get a shot at 276 long steps! I drug, humped, and heaved a couple of 7mm Rem mags just to shoot deer at 50yds and 25yds for several years! It depends a lot on where one hunts, and my quickest handling, fast to get on target Mod 70 FWT in 30-06 took my first cow elk, "running" at 135 steps in an aspen grove. I "missed" a huge Georia whitetail at 20yds when he jumped up out of a soybean field, surprising me, with a Mod 700 BDL 7mm Mag with a 2.5x8 leupold on t. I would have got him with my old Mod 94! :)

Thebear_78":2jpanf3i said:

I'm thinking that rifle is actually a .375... Everyone knows .270 bullets bounce off big game. :grin: Mighty fine jackrabbit gun though... :wink:

Guy

I'm thinking that rifle is actually a .375... Everyone knows .270 bullets bounce off big game. :grin: Mighty fine jackrabbit gun though... :wink:

Guy[/quote]

I think you're right Guy! LOL
I'm thinking of getting a 105mm field howitzer to go elk and moose hunting now, since everything else is too small or considered antiquated. It'll shoot, clean, and cook the game all at the same time! LOL

HawkeyeSATX a.k.a. Bryce

My take is if my rifles were stolen .264 Win Mag Model 70 and my 300 H&H Mag Model 70. I have never shot or owned one but I would be carrying a Model 70 in 7mm Rem Mag with 26 inch barrel.
My Father shoots a 30-06 and I have shot it and it's not for me. I even reload the 30-06 for him. I also don't like the recoil of 300 Mag's and even though I shoot my 300 H&H Mag less recoil the better.
Truth is shot placement is what counts and I like high BC bullets. My longest shot on a Antelope just over 500 yds with .264 Win Mag. I use and carry a Lecia 1600B range finder and feel comfortable to 750 yds but that's it. I have also turned down a shot at a nice Mule Deer last year at 300 yds because the wind was 40 mph and with higher gusts and I have no desire to wound such a nice animal.

1100 Remington Man":1bxeakoa said:
I have also turned down a shot at a nice Mule Deer last year at 300 yds because the wind was 40 mph and with higher gusts and I have no desire to wound such a nice animal.

Wind like that should make anyone pause in the field!

I would only shoot in a 40 mph wind only if I was facing or going with the wind. Otherwise, no way way in hell would I attempt a crosswind shot.

HawkeyeSATX a.k.a. Bryce

I was just thinking about something.....completely hypothetical, what if we load a .30-06 to the same PSI level as a 7mm Mag?!? Would there be a substantial increase in flattening of trajectory and energy for the 06? I'm sure the rifles themselves would be able to handle the extra pressure, since manufacturers aren't going to have different heat treating for different cartridges, right? I'm pretty sure that the brass would be able to handle the extra pressure as well.
Any thoughts out there?
Just curious.

HawkeyeSATX a.k.a. Bryce

I entered the Maine woods a couple of years ago with the wind gusting to around 40MPH. After about one minute I turned around and walked back out of the woods. Mother nature was doing one fantastic job of tree trimming and I had no desire to get clobbered or killed with one of her "big" branches.

HAWKEYESATX":1jjn1pf8 said:
I was just thinking about something.....completely hypothetical, what if we load a .30-06 to the same PSI level as a 7mm Mag?!? Would there be a substantial increase in flattening of trajectory and energy for the 06? I'm sure the rifles themselves would be able to handle the extra pressure, since manufacturers aren't going to have different heat treating for different cartridges, right? I'm pretty sure that the brass would be able to handle the extra pressure as well.
Any thoughts out there?
Just curious.

HawkeyeSATX a.k.a. Bryce

I think the 06 is loaded to a standard of 60K whereas the 7mm Rem is usually around 61-62K PSI. I doubt you'd notice the difference honestly. Taken over an average. Just can't beat the 7mm's BC or bigger jug. Load the 30-06 and 7mm Rem to 270 Win (65K) levels and it'll pull even further ahead.

SJB358":26dfm3vy said:
HAWKEYESATX":26dfm3vy said:
Any thoughts out there?
Just curious.

HawkeyeSATX a.k.a. Bryce

I think the 06 is loaded to a standard of 60K whereas the 7mm Rem is usually around 61-62K PSI. I doubt you'd notice the difference honestly. Taken over an average. Just can't beat the 7mm's BC or bigger jug. Load the 30-06 and 7mm Rem to 270 Win (65K) levels and it'll pull even further ahead.

Agreed.In terms of external ballistics the 7 Rem Mag should be compared to a 300 Win Mag; not a 30/06.

Back