Notice: This site is not mobile friendly, we recommend you download tapatalk for a mobile friendly experience of our forum.

It is currently Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:40 am

Shop Nosler

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 150gr Accubond LR vs Maine Moose?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:32 pm 

EOD Diver wrote:
Glad you liked the the article. It’s one of my favorites! If you don’t mind, I’m going to borrow that Indian/arrow quote from you. I don’t think you could explain things to folks any easier than that!
V/R,
Joe

Joe - that's a great article and one that I read some time ago. We, as hunters, need to read more of these articles and absorb what some of the more seasoned & sensible gunwriters have to say.

My best advice re hunting rifles is to hunt with the rifle you shoot well.

Regards, Guy

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:54 am 

Great article. It’s one of my favorites.

Strictly speaking I wouldn’t feel handicapped on any hunt I’ve done with a 270 and an excellent bullet. I like more sometimes but that’s mainly in my brain.

Actually, there are only two classes of people posting here: Model 70 owners and those who wish they had one. PATENT PENDING

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:08 pm 

SJB358 wrote:
Great article. It’s one of my favorites.

Strictly speaking I wouldn’t feel handicapped on any hunt I’ve done with a 270 and an excellent bullet. I like more sometimes but that’s mainly in my brain.

Yep I started down that Brain road and now I have 3 more rifles. I felt handicapped with the short barreled 30-06 I have to hunt out west since it is set up for close quarter hunting.
If I was 10yrs younger I wouldn't even thought about needing an extra edge.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:50 pm 

Scotty is saying it best....... it's right between the your ears! Folks needs to realize ,
That with these premium bullets we have today , many of the older caliber deer rifles, 6.5/7mm/270 class, are now;Very cape able to dispatch much larger animals than many folks of the " heavy bullet"
crowd, would expect. Case n Point: Jim Carmichel, after taking O' Conners perch; Once wrote a long article explaining all the merits of a .280 over the .270 and bacially it addressed the fact that nearly identical ballistics, and only .007 different in bullet diameter, the .280 just had a VASTLY greater selection of bullets available for it!(At the time) Simple as that! But of course nowadays, with all the premium bullets like the 150 gr Accubond LR involved; ( flight path of a Berger VLD) that is simply NOT the case. To say a 280 shooting 150/160 gr bullets would be a better choice for and Elk or Moose than a .270 with the same weight bullets would be like saying Chocolate is better than Vanilla??? Ditto on the arguement about buying into simply wanting a " heavier bullet" ???
Certainly silly to lug a big heavy magnum rifle around, when it's just not nessasary!
A standard Ballistic Tip works perfect out to 300 yds as everyone all ready knows, however it should be noted for bog hunting Moose , or shooting across parks in the west for Elk, the soft nose of this Accubond at reduced velocitys certainly is going to be advantageous on LONG shots.
400 yds is not 100 yds and the Accubond was designed for this long range stuff and it works! I got
Lucky and found a load quickly that shoots good in my Tikka with RL 26 though I realize a lot of guns are fussy about shooting them in a 10 twist barrel and I am assuming the 26 velocities are helping me in this case over come the twist issue ? I hate posting pics of targets but this was the results of 58grs of RL 26 at 200 yds. I am aware everyone on here can probably outshoot me but I
Was real happy with this grouping.
Attachment:
IMG_0993.JPG
IMG_0993.JPG [ 1.51 MiB | Viewed 579 times ]

The beauty of the 2nd amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:06 am 

Nice, that looks real good.

Keep pushing up E. If accuracy holds out for you, 60-61 are safe and will exit the muzzle around 3020-3050...

I think R26 and good bullets makes the old 270 look danged close to a 7 Rem Mag.. :mrgreen:

Actually, there are only two classes of people posting here: Model 70 owners and those who wish they had one. PATENT PENDING

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:27 pm 

I am on it Scotman, my hunter Kris is talking now of buying a 270 Tikka himself! He said same thing couldn't believe it would do what it does! He likes .444 Marlins and 33 Winchesters but couldn't wrap his mind around the fact that the Z600 reticle would put him right on the money at 400 yds! And was blow away what 150 grs does to an 800 lb animal ,When it's put in the right place!
I will work on up over 60 grs ,and see what cracking 3000 fps, does to the group size?
For LR hunting, this combo has great potential! Under 300 yds of course there is lots of combos that will work just as well, for that mater the little 6.5 Swede, with a good bullet would do anything you would need it to do, with less recoil ! And I hear the little 7/08 is getting stellar reports, here on Maine Moose, with premium bullets.
I only broached the subject because ,if you have a "long range application"where a 4/500 yd shot is possible ,This Accubond bullet has a nitch!
Funny how time changes your thinking I started out in Alaska with a .375H&H and a .300Win Mag as my two go to guns. After 10 years I had swapped both for a .338WM and a 7mmRM. And the last 15 years I simply hunted everything with a lowly 30/06 except When guiding Brown Bear hunters still
Had the .338. Now after all these years of guiding hunters, I am completely comfortable to have left all the Magnum calibers behind:?So when I am up in Alaska now;the 35 Whelen does everything "back up"just fine, However the .270 makes a perfect Caribou/ Sheep / Blacktail/ Black Bear cartridge and for LR ( over 300 yds) Moose shots ( even though I would always prefer to get closer) this Accubond bullet has advantages bucking the wind, retained velocity, and expand much better at reduced velocitys.
So I say " pass the Accubonds please" .......... I would certainly not be opposed to trying a 190gr Accubond LR out of my 30/06 either! Or that new 168gr LR for that matter. These gun manufactures
Are going to need to address this twist issue, in the near future. And offer us all factory rifles,that will stabilize these long skinny projectiles correctly! So that everyone can take advantage of them, not just the guys with custom rebarrels and tuned handloads. :(
To quote Gerrys post below: I can personally see NO difference in how the .270 kills stuff in anyway
To my old 7mm RM with these modern powders/ bullets.........none what so ever; except I sure as hell, can see a HUGE difference,between sacking around a "9 plus pound gun"all day vs a 7 lb one!! :shock:

The beauty of the 2nd amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it" - Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by 35 Whelen on Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:17 am, edited 8 times in total.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:35 pm 

SJB358 wrote:

Keep pushing up E. If accuracy holds out for you, 60-61 are safe and will exit the muzzle around 3020-3050...

I think R26 and good bullets makes the old 270 look danged close to a 7 Rem Mag.. :mrgreen:

Had a reply earlier that disappeared into space somewhere.

Anyway, since getting my 270 Win it has kind of made my 264 WM and 7 mm RM obsolete and that is just with IMR 7977. Add the extra speed that RL 26 gets it even further cuts into the territory of both of the magnum cartridges. RL 26 should help out the 7 mm RM too but a 145 gr ELD-X and 150 gr ABLR at over 3000 fps out of a 270 Win makes it quite a formidable round. Don't get me wrong I still like the 264 in particular but the 270 and modern powders is really good.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:49 pm 

gerry wrote:
SJB358 wrote:

Had a reply earlier that disappeared into space somewhere.

Anyway, since getting my 270 Win it has kind of made my 264 WM and 7 mm RM obsolete and that is just with IMR 7977. Add the extra speed that RL 26 gets it even further cuts into the territory of both of the magnum cartridges. RL 26 should help out the 7 mm RM too but a 145 gr ELD-X and 150 gr ABLR at over 3000 fps out of a 270 Win makes it quite a formidable round. Don't get me wrong I still like the 264 in particular but the 270 and modern powders is really good.

Amen to that. Couldn’t agree more.

It’s just the loony thing to, gotta try them all, or at least give it a shot.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:57 am 

EOD Diver wrote:
Great work and congratulations! Shot placement and a well constructed bullet will get it done every time. Lucky the bull didn’t know it was only a 270 Win or he’d have probably kept on going! All jokes aside, below is one of my all time favorite articles written by Ross Seyfried about our ol’ pal the 270 Winchester. I figured some of you might enjoy reading it.
V/R,
Joe
https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/ross-s ... gnum-myth/

Great article, thanks for sharing. My favorite cartridge Loved reading it!

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:05 am 

Great story and nothing wrong with the 270 at all! Great cartridge.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:51 pm 

Very nice!

35 Whelen wrote:
The 6.5 x55 , 7x57 , .270W and the grand old 30/06 have all
Proven this many thousands of times.

I agree with this entirely, and this is why it perplexes me when people feel so uncertain about a 6.5 Creedmoor (or 260 Rem) as 'enough' for xxx animal, when at least some of those same folks wouldn't bat an eye at a Swede.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:14 pm 

Pretty interesting a 6.5x55 has shot more moose in Sweeden than all other calibers combined.........but someone that has never even hunted moose will tell
you in a NY minute " I prefer atleast a 338WM as a minimum......omg.
Ditto on Elk, hunted a ranch out of Norwood, Co back the
Early 80's the old fella that owned the place had his Dads
Model 54 Winchester in .270W . He told me that gun had
Accounted for many dozens of Bull Elk and they never
Had a problem.............but 90% of the folks that have never
Even fired at an Elk will have the opinion.......300/338 Mag
As basic minimum. Go figure.

Offline Profile  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Moderators: JD338, NOSLER, FOTIS, NoslerV, Nosler4 Go to page Previous  1, 2