First time using 168 Ballistic Tip on game

TackDriver284

Handloader
Feb 13, 2016
As the buck season ended, we still have two more weeks for spikes and hogs, I went out in search for some hogs but no avail. Saw a pack of pesty javelinas chasing off spikes and does and I made a call to a friend who is a lawn boy and asked him if he would like some javelina. He said he would take some and I could tell that he was excited. So I ranged the distance with the Kilo 2000 and dialed in for 285 yards. I just never have shot game with a .308 and was itching to see how it will perform with the 168 Ballistic Tips. Rested the crosshairs on the left ear of the lead javelina that was facing west, squeezed the trigger and it looked like a truck hit him. The front half of his body was thrown 90 degrees and facing north and motionless. Wow what a shot, the 2nd javelina looked at him, still facing west, another pill downrange and into the ear again, and same thing, both facing north. Picked up the javelinas and checked the entry and exits, both in and out of both ears, just under by about a half inch, exit was the size of a golf ball, not bad. Cleaned both of them up, and the lawn boy came over to pick up the javelinas by the gate. Spent the night for another hunt in the morning. Woke up and corned the roads and glassed several deer and a spike came out and I checked him over and he looked solid for some meat for the table to fill the freezer. Ranged and dialed in for 185 yards and rested the crosshairs behind the crease of his shoulder and up a little above the middle by an inch for a good lung shot. Wham, the spike never knew what hit him, never moved a step. Upon opening it, the lungs were soupy. The 168 Ballistic Tip was fabulous and did what it was supposed to do, fly true , perfect expansion and good exit. i was hoping to see the bullet under the hide to see how it mushroomed, but maybe next time at a longer distance. I am hooked with this bullet for my .308 Crusader when it comes to hunting.

SLVEfpI.jpg

Expected performance with Ballistic Tips. Good write up thanks for sharing! (y)

Don

Nice! Not sure if you'll catch one in a javalina, or a small deer... My experience with the 165 gr Ballistic Tips is that it takes quite a lot to stop them.

Guy

I wanted to try them for my 308 to but was not sure how they would work great to see they work fine.Thank for the pics

That is some fine shooting Sir (y) and that photo show almost perfect bullet performance.
Thank you for the post.

Blessings,
Dan

Nicely done! The BT shoots great in my 280 Rem and showing promise in my 7mm-08. Hopefully 2017 is the year I get to drop a deer with em!

Back