Trophy Antelope

elkeater2

Handloader
Jan 5, 2009
I have written about hunting with my son several times here. 15 years ago he was disabled, yet in many ways that was the beginning of our hunting adventures together. There has been success with elk, deer, antelope and turkeys. There have been many more trips that fizzled due to weather, ground conditions, access issues, no cooperation from the quarry, etc. - just like we all experience. We take those in stride and treasure the time together.
We just finished two days of the rewarding kind antelope hunting! Day one was buck tag day. Wind was 30 - 40 mph, 39 degrees F., and brutal, threatening rain or snow and misting while it made up it's mind. At daylight nothing was moving or showing up. We finally saw some in some brush on the side of steep mountain, no way to get close. They were protected from the wind and content to stay there. Finally a few started traveling and eventually a group came near us. Son initiated his new 6.5 x 284 @230 yards. We were elated. About that time I figured out that the hurricane I was experiencing inside my head was coming from the hearing aids mostly - the wind was much more tolerable without them!
Day two we were joined by one of my son's friends. He wasn't hunting, just observing, but great to have along. The doe/fawn tag second license was ready. This day was the complete opposite of the previous - promise of clear sky, 10mph winds, 50 degrees F. already at 6 AM. As it got light there were antelope scattered everywhere. A small group grazed within 120 yards or so, and there was a big doe without any fawns tagging along. One shot in the chest and she charged off in a death run. Legs getting less coordinated every stride, then a forward somersault flop and lay still. High five time!
So if I pulled you into this with the subject title, that was my intention. To us, this beautiful doe is a trophy. The memories made are priceless. The bonding time likewise. The whole experience, and all the others leading up to it are absolute treasures. We have been blessed.

Attachments

• trophydoedave2.JPG
    trophydoedave2.JPG
    764.2 KB · Views: 837
What a great account of a very special time afield with your son. I love that picture; it is truly a trophy photo that will be treasured for years to come. Congratulations to both of you on what is a genuine trophy! Consequently, that is one antelope more than I've shot!

More memories to come, sharing tasty tidbits at the table with family and friends!
Love antelope meat!

OUTSTANDING!

With antelope - the finest trophy is the backstrap steak. (y)

What a terrific experience for all of you.

Congrats, Guy

Congrats on a fine lope and time well spent with each other. Thanks for sharing the hunt, Dan.

Congratulations for the beautiful experience that you have been generous to share with us.
Memories to be shared for many years to come. Thank you, Rol

Thanks to all who said such nice comments. The outdoors, the game, riflery and reloading, planning and provisioning are all part of the experience we have been fortunate to share. More stories to come. EE2

Trophies come and go, and some mean more to some than others. Good for you!

Bet he does not feel disabled with that grin, congratulations!
And mostly to you.
Because you make him feel whole, wheelchair or not.
Love to see parents just making thing happen, no matter the odds.

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 3a XL mit Tapatalk

Congratulations to the both of you. Way to go!

JD338

elkeater- Glad to see you two are still out getting after it! Trophy "time" for the two of you indeed. Fire up the grill :) CL

Excellent!! Sounded exciting on both hunts. Congratulations to your son and a team effort. Treasured times for both of you for sure.

A blessing, indeed. The opportunity to experience AND realize how special this blessing is - is a special gift.
Duane

Congrats to you both!!

You’re one of the good ones[emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back