Pointers and porcupines

salmonchaser

Handloader
Dec 13, 2013
Walking the girls after dinner. Sugar dropped into a crouching point, never seen her do this before. I stepped up and found 10 feet or so off her nose a porcupine. My little Ruger stopped whatever trouble he had in mind.IMG_1055.JPGIMG_1053.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah they can be trouble for a dog. Glad she was smart enough to point it instead of charging in and getting a face full of quills, that could have been painful.

Yeah, dogs and porcupines don't mix real well. For sure, sugar didn't need to tangle with that bad boy.

Agree. That's been a painful lesson for many dogs...

Having the little .22 Ruger along worked out well!

Guy

Is that a mark IV? I see it's threaded. I have the MarkIII Hunter, very similar but doesn't have the 1911 grip. I think the barrel is a bit over 8". Love to take that when squirrels are in season. Being a 1911 fan, I'm sure I'd love that one!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The 22/45 lite is very nice to pack around when guiding bird hunters. Despite my efforts we have all manner of skunks, porks, badgers and in the early fall, rattle snakes. My first instinct was it didn't feel anything like a 1911 despite the grip. When things happen fast, such as stumbling onto a rattlesnake, the front sight is where it is supposed to be. I've made a few shots that had my clients saying "that was a hell of a shot". If they only knew, but I'll take lucky any day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have encountered a number of porcupines while hunting upland game and have been fortunate enough not to have one of our dogs go charging it.
I know of dogs that have had to be sedated to get the quills out of the their face.
Sure glad your pup showed you the problem and you remedied it (y).
Thanks for the post & photos.

Blessings,
Dan

Back