GAAAA!

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Trying to explain to new hunters that they actually need to pick dates, set them aside, and oh gee, it might be nice to choose a species to hunt and actually buy a danged tag! :shock:

Oh hi Nosler People.

Thank you for knowing something about hunting.

I'm up to my eyebrows with some GREAT PEOPLE I'm trying to help this coming season. They simply don't get that there are seasons, dates, etc... No, you can't just pay an extra fee and hunt when you want. There are seasons.

I get the idea that they (three of 'em) want to hunt deer, elk, and maybe bear, sometime between Sept 1st and the end of December... Somewhere not too far from central Washington.

I ended up giving them the dates and areas I planned to hunt and punted those back their direction. If they can, they might. If not. Ah well. I tried.

Thanks for listening... :grin:

Guy

They're good people, and I got two of them on their first bucks a few years ago. But... Dang!

Guy

Same in Michigan. Some people need it spelled out...some times multiple seasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Casual hunters don't appreciate the rules and the need to make a decision. Until they have been bitten by the bug, they won't get moving.

It is the same world over Guy, I have a young guy right now that wants me to load for his new 243win :wink:. He is bound and determined that he is going to shoot the biggest and baddest of all species but he is not sure of what areas to hunt :roll:
I have advised him that I will load him up some shells but that I want his rifle and loading supplies so that I can confirm what I have loaded for him and that it is within specs.
I ask for patience Lord :).

Blessings,
Dan

I here you... it frustrates me to no end.

When I take new hunters out... I give them the date and the time we leave and when we come back... and I tell them that if they're 5 minutes late, then good luck on their own cause I'll be already gone.

I've been burned a few times on that one.

It's almost as bad as folks asking where to the see the aurora... in June.

...it could be worse, you could have to explain CO seasons, areas, & regs to 'em...

I've mentored a few young hunters and some not so young.
Raised in a hunting family was a great help for me but patients isn't one of my virtues and at times I don't play well with others.
I had a son inlaw who knew very little about hunting and my daughter asked me to teach him.
He showed up wearing his army issue gortex rain wear and talk about noisy, he sounded like news paper being balled up with every step he took and couldn't understand why I was upset.
I put him in a tree stand and told him to stay there till I came for him so he wouldn't spook everything with in a mile radius. He did listen to what I told him and managed to kill a nice meat Doe and blew thw top of it's head off so he wouldn't waste any meat. :shock: :roll: :lol:

Unless they are family I won't even go there. A waste of time and energy. I have spent hours explaining expectations, gear, equipment, safety, techniques, shooting range time, as well as time in the field. Typically they don't last the season and go home to watch the world series on tv. As someone recently explained to me, most do not share my intensity in the field.

It's been so hard to not reply. Kinda amazing what happens when people think open season means fire at will. I have heard of a couple that read the rules after they shot... and then realized the screwed up. Have a friend in Conservation. Maybe the worst was a guy who filleted his walleye so he could get more in his 48 quart cooler. Limit 5, and you could not close the lid on the cooler. I think the fine is $100/fish over, and if trophy size, they make it worse... of course the guy was out of work and has 6 kids...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elkman":3pbsxd15 said:
Unless they are family I won't even go there. A waste of time and energy. I have spent hours explaining expectations, gear, equipment, safety, techniques, shooting range time, as well as time in the field. Typically they don't last the season and go home to watch the world series on tv. As someone recently explained to me, most do not share my intensity in the field.

I have tried for a few years to get people interested in the sport and especially to help with getting folks out west to elk hunt. I am with Bill, if it isn't family, I really don't have the patience anymore. Everyone has their way of doing things, but fundamentally, it has to be sound and I have learned from guys doing it for decades and seeing as we usually have some meat hanging in camp, we are doing it right. What I usually see is someone asking for advice and you take the time to explain it then they do the polar opposite..

What I have seen is some folks wanna go hunting to camp, cook, and generally be away. I wanna go hunt to kill. Sounds kinda harsh, but its a mindset that I have. I don't need to kill, but that is the mission. If I just wanted to take pictures and enjoy wildlife I'd pack a camera instead of my 338.

:grin:

We got it figured out. I really simplified it for 'em:

"With our OTC tags, we can hunt Oct 14 - Oct 24 for mule deer in our area. Bucks only, and must be at least a 3x to be legal."

They got it! (y)

Guy

Back