polar bear kills father

Thankful Otter

Handloader
Oct 8, 2012
I noticed Guy and Dr Mike have posted bear stories recently so thought you may be interested in this one

A polar bear was stalking his children so he told his children to run to the boat while he distracted the bear. The children got to the boat safely, but the father was killed.

He was not armed nor did he have any spray or flares. The bear has been put down

Sorry to here he was killed but can't imagine the trauma the children went through watching the bear kill their father. He gave the ultimate sacrifice to save his children's lives.

Very sad story. The father is a hero.
I hope the children will be ok after witnessed the brutal attack. Good reason to always be armed in bear country.

JD338

Young bears (and even older ones) that are not hunted,will not learn to fear man, and will become problematic under certain conditions.
Fewer hunters, and fewer hunters that actually hunt bears will only add to the problem.
Bear meat, cared for properly is good eating.
We need to teach people that this is a great meat source, and that by hunting these animals we will be helping to conserve the species, as well as educating these animals that people are to be feared, assisting in the reduction of people/bear encounters and the need to put down bears for being problematic.

There are also more people using the back country, most without any knowledgeor training in how to deal with problem wildlife. This is the largest variable in the equation, and should be better risk managed.
Perhaps it should become a requirement for these people to take problem wildlife training before heading out, in an effort to increase their awareness of the environment and the animals that can pose a threat in those environments, and what to do/not do in order to decrease their chances of encounters that can become problematic.

Blkram":15ca34j0 said:
Young bears (and even older ones) that are not hunted,will not learn to fear man, and will become problematic under certain conditions.
Fewer hunters, and fewer hunters that actually hunt bears will only add to the problem.
Bear meat, cared for properly is good eating.
We need to teach people that this is a great meat source, and that by hunting these animals we will be helping to conserve the species, as well as educating these animals that people are to be feared, assisting in the reduction of people/bear encounters and the need to put down bears for being problematic.

There are also more people using the back country, most without any knowledgeor training in how to deal with problem wildlife. This is the largest variable in the equation, and should be better risk managed.
Perhaps it should become a requirement for these people to take problem wildlife training before heading out, in an effort to increase their awareness of the environment and the animals that can pose a threat in those environments, and what to do/not do in order to decrease their chances of encounters that can become problematic.

Excellent Commentary Gil

Dr Mike, thank you for posting the news story. I received the information via the RCMP and appreciate your posting the article about the incident

Maybe it's my casual familiarity with white bears...but the few times I've been around them, they freak me out.

People tend to peacefully cohabitate with black bears for the most part and seeing them doesn't cause much alarm usually and most negative interactions are nuisance bears getting into trash and such. Grizzlies get my utmost respect and can get downright grumpy when pushed, but largely want to leave us alone.

Polar bears? Yeah, they seem as happy to eat us as not. Not unlike tigers in that respect.

hodgeman":pilmjj9p said:
Maybe it's my casual familiarity with white bears...but the few times I've been around them, they freak me out.

People tend to peacefully cohabitate with black bears for the most part and seeing them doesn't cause much alarm usually and most negative interactions are nuisance bears getting into trash and such. Grizzlies get my utmost respect and can get downright grumpy when pushed, but largely want to leave us alone.

Polar bears? Yeah, they seem as happy to eat us as not. Not unlike tigers in that respect.

Mike, a very good explanation of the three types of bears

Do you remember when I was working on the P>B> research team, one of the factors was what effect the company's, who take their clients out to see the P.B. s have on eliminating any fear of humans. In the wild they tend to move away, but in some areas now they have less and less fear of humans--AND--they are meat eaters, so you are exactly correct Mike. They are not mad, like a grizzly so to speak, they are hungry and see you as food

I imagine summer being their hard months likely makes them more dangerous.

The only times I’ve seen the white bears has been from inside a big truck. I don’t think I’d like getting personal with them out in the open.

Conversely I played hide and seek with a small black bear this morning while red fishing on the Russian River

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back