Know the Rules

Sad. The old fellow was probably very excited to take the elk, and likely didn't even think about the road. :(

Guide shares in the responsibility to take the elk legally.

Doggone it.

I had an opportunity at an exceptional antelope buck earlier this month, but the only decent shot opportunity offered was across a dirt/gravel county road. Nope. Then he disappeared over a hill. I ran over there, up the hill, hoping that he'd stopped somewhere in range, and never saw him again. Vanished. Sigh... He was significantly larger than any antelope I've taken. Ah well.

It's hard sometimes to not violate some of the laws, but like Dr Mike said "Know the rules."

Guy

Yeah, I'm surprised that the article didn't state that the guide was ticketed. I agree that the guide does share in the responsibility in this instance.

Sounds like that empty case and talking toooooo much to
a game warden has ended up turning a dream hunt into a mess. Its always the same story with these type of things.
Had a friend that got taken for this exact same violation 25 years ago. He was a great fella that had 8 kids and a blue tarp on his roof......Talking toooo much. $500 fine that his 85 year old mother had to help him pay as he never had a pot to pizz in. After a considerable amout of blowing about it : The Game Warden that took him; got caught doing the exact same thing himself 5 years later. He got 30 days Suspension with pay, and it was never brought up again. He is still around drawing a full State pension......
I realize he technically should not have shot across the street.
And this Elk case is still open; and they will be trying everything possible, to hang the guide as well.
Just guessing, but he probably isnt a virgin, and knows a good lawyer.........

IIRC Penn regs allowed a hunter to shoot across a road providing that the flight of the bullet didn't interfere with vehicle traffic.
Is any such regulation still on the books?

Charlie-NY":3hsxt1ga said:
IIRC Penn regs allowed a hunter to shoot across a road providing that the flight of the bullet didn't interfere with vehicle traffic.

yes you are correct , that was a rule . I'm not positive , but I think it's still current .

jimbires":m15adn9j said:
Charlie-NY":m15adn9j said:

yes you are correct , that was a rule . I'm not positive , but I think it's still current .

Dr Mike makes the point. That is the reality. But IMHO what a load of cr@p! I feel for that officer. He did his job, but he wont be able to get a free cup of coffee within 100 miles.

The son of a friend of mine was fined and will loose his hunting privileges for pursuing a wounded deer onto a neighbors property while carrying his firearm. The neighbor who was already in mid fued with the family called DNR.... and so it goes. The kid should have requested permission, been denied, called the DNR himself and had them with when he went to retrieve the animal. That's the rule- sad when it comes to that. Now he pays a greater price ... and worse yet more bad blood between neighbors. CL

Washington State used to have the same rule, but recently changed it to "Negligently discharging from, over or across a road." If there are cars or people, its a no-no, but if nobody is around and you can safely do it, its fine. Hard to believe Washington State made a rule/law that makes sense...

Back