Counting down to Friday

hunter24605

Handloader
Apr 30, 2016
Well, it's almost upon us..Friday we are leaving for the cabin for the opening of WV rifle deer season on Monday. I know hunting whitetail with a rifle in WV may seem a little "bland", but to us it's more about getting away for a while, and the comradery. These are the same bunch of guys I've been hunting with for 20+ years. Our first trip we bought an Army surplus tent and a used up wood stove. We dern near froze a few times when the temps got way down and snow was falling. And we spent a lot of time running field mice out of the tent, but we always had full stomachs and plenty enough laughs..And every night a bedtime, the fart and snore chorus broke the silence..We killed a pile of deer over the years and watched the kids grow from their first trip to being old enough to drive themselves to camp. About 7 years ago we were all in a better financial position since the kids were grown and careers progressed enough to buy 11 acres off a farm that backs up to the national forest, and start hauling in lumber and build the cabin. We are a lot warmer now and everything from electric heat ,stove, shower, microwave, TV's, and actual beds have made things much more comfortable. Some things just never change, the laughs, fellowship, and all around good times carried over. And we still tell, and laugh at, the same old stories like we were hearing the for the first time. So about this time every year the phone calls start, lists are made, and gear is prepped while these last few days seem to drag on and on waiting on time to leave. I suppose there are thousands of groups like this across the country, and one thing I've found to be true from most of them is, there's always "room for one more" if someone wants to bring someone along. And this year the "one more" will be my grandson on his first deer hunt. At only 8 he won't be toting a rifle, but I'll set up my ground blind and we'll hunt together. I hope the tradition continues with the kids and grandkids and they're telling their kids that Grandpa and his friends cleared the the land and built this old cabin with their own hands.. Just a few pictures from back in the day, to the land before it was cleared, after it was cleared and the view, up to the cabin. I'd like to hear stories of y'alls hunting camps, traditions, or whatever you want to throw out there.

Attachments

• group.jpg
    group.jpg
    431.7 KB · Views: 610
  • tent.jpg
    tent.jpg
    537.3 KB · Views: 610
  • land before.jpg
    land before.jpg
    532.6 KB · Views: 610
  • landcleared.jpg
    landcleared.jpg
    400.5 KB · Views: 610
  • 20170805_082612.png
    20170805_082612.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 610
I really like these stories about traditions and hunting camps. Good luck, hope your grandson has a great trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It looks like you guys have created a great hunting camp. As you say, the comradery is part of what keeps the tradition going. Good luck hunting. How exciting to begin passing this on to your grandson. Enjoy your time together.

Outstanding! The cabin looks great.

I spent a lot of nights in a tent very much like that one, in the Marines.

Best o' luck this season! (y)

Great report that captures the anticipation. Great to see the young hunter in camp with the old vets of the hunt.

Thanks for sharing. Brings back memories of hunting and fishing camps. Looks comfy! What part of WV you hunting? Dan.

Thanks, guys. It was a long time in the pipes before we finally got going on it..Mike, that young fella is now 18 and still coming to camp. Dan, it's in Monroe Co.

Monroe County. Well how cool is that. I hunt the western edge of Monroe County on War Ridge. Live in Hinton Summers County. Hope you guys have a good week! Dan.

Just got off the phone with my FIL. Just catching up after deer hunting two weeks ago...the usual stuff....what do I owe you for the freezer paper...how long 'til the sausage is ready? Thanks for letting me come along again... etc.... The conversation eventually degenerates into what dumb thing happened this year or ten years ago and we end up laughing and talking about next years deer hunt or turkey in the spring....and how lucky we were to be able to go another year.

I tell people that memories from the fall are what keep me warm through the winter...They either understand or they haven't been hunting. :)

Go have a great time! make some memories with the crew and that grandson!! Outstanding!! CL

wvbuckbuster":1qr9f66g said:
Monroe County. Well how cool is that. I hunt the western edge of Monroe County on War Ridge. Live in Hinton Summers County. Hope you guys have a good week! Dan.

Ha! We're practically neighbors. I live in Bluefield (on the Virginia side) The cabin is about halfway between Waiteville and Paint Bank.

Thanks for sharing your story. Our family deer camp was very similar to yours. The farting and snoring got REAL at our camp too! :lol: Same old deer stories re-told of years past never got old. Laughed till we cried at a lot of them. How I miss that old camp. Mom and Dad sold it long ago.

Don

Back