Pheasants

salmonchaser

Handloader
Dec 13, 2013
First trip for the girls this season, mixed bag of pheasant, chukar and quail. The girls were a little out of control in the morning but settled down nicely.IMG_3009.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very cool! Am breaking in a new dog. We're both working hard. :)

Congrats on a great day!

Guy

Oh yeah, looks great!
I love shotgun-hunting, but smallgame is almost completely gone. No habitat anymore...

Keep us posted!

Gesendet von meinem HUAWEI VNS-L31 mit Tapatalk

Good luck Guy, new dogs are rewarding and challenging. Yes, one was I think Albino. Red eyes etc. Another was very pale colored. I’ve not seen this before so there is something in the gene pool.

I find myself way more excited about bird hunting this year, than big game hunting. Ah well.

Still have a late archery elk season ahead of me, maybe I'll get more worked up about that. Meanwhile, young Maverick is learning to hunt. He's a real handful! Laughin' here. :mrgreen:

Hmh8SLfl.jpg

He is really packing on some muscle now - about 14 or 15 months old I think, and he's up to 61 pounds two days ago. Was 53 pounds just a couple of months ago. Solid & strong! We're exercising & training every day.

Guy

Guy Miner":3uqlgu8g said:
I find myself way more excited about bird hunting this year, than big game hunting. Ah well.

Still have a late archery elk season ahead of me, maybe I'll get more worked up about that. Meanwhile, young Maverick is learning to hunt. He's a real handful! Laughin' here. :mrgreen:

Hmh8SLfl.jpg

He is really packing on some muscle now - about 14 or 15 months old I think, and he's up to 61 pounds two days ago. Was 53 pounds just a couple of months ago. Solid & strong! We're exercising & training every day.

Guy
German wire-hair?
Love that breed. They really like to hunt and please.

Once was on a duck-hunt along a stream with a foot of snow on the ground. When he went in to get the ducks, I started shivering. Afterwards, he rubed himself dry in the snow like I have only seen on TV with polar bears before and 'asked' us - 'what's next'?

Once I find the proper house with a garden after the divorce is through, one of those will move in...

Gesendet von meinem HUAWEI VNS-L31 mit Tapatalk

GWP is very popular in the North West. I would guess I’m seeing more every year. I’ve a friend who is a hunt test and field trial judge, she owns five or six of them.
I don’t get it, I much prefer the GSP [emoji38]

Help.me out. gsp is ... - ?

Ok, Google helped!
Actually, the German pointers go back to common ancestors.

The differences area not great, more to the kennel they come from.
The wire hair is a bit more robust, depending on your climate.

Wirehair, German long hair, short hair, great Münsterländer - more or less the same in the field.

Yes, I have seen them all in the field. Being German...

I’ve run GSPs since I was a kid. As a senior in high school I could churn out a mile in hunting boots, wearing a vest and carrying a shot gun in under five and a half minutes; 4:20 in shorts and track shoes. In any event I was well suited to running, literally, behind big running, ground covering dogs.
As I get older I find my legs are shorter and I haven’t run a mile in much under 8 minutes in a long time.
It’s my impression the greatest advantage of the Wire hair is their willingness to hunt slower and closer than a Short hair.
That is of course a result of training, it just seems easier to break the wire hair to hunting with old guys like me.
Susan is not a dog person, well she wasn’t. I’m trying to get her to warm up to the Wire hair, it’s time to start bringing up a pup, might very well be a Wire hair. We will see....57556995106__BC5CB33E-630E-459B-A4A7-D6E0B4985DC5.JPGIMG_2796.JPGIMG_2828.JPGIMG_3137.JPG
Never spoil your bird dog and always hold them accountable for chasing your neighbors cat.

Excellent. :)

4:20 mile? Yikes! My best in high school was about 5:40.

I was able to hang onto sub 6:00 miles until I was in my mid 30's or so and doing a lot of weight lifting. Got too big and too old for that kinda speed. Now, I walk. Running days are long gone due to leg injuries. I would dearly love to run with Maverick if I could.

Guy

Salmonchaser. I always spoil my dogs. I even managed to spoil my working dogs when I was in the Air Force. They work harder for you and listen better. And, you don’t need to worry about them taking off on you if they know they have a cushy couch at home.

Brinky72":3rnryi4g said:
Salmonchaser. I always spoil my dogs. I even managed to spoil my working dogs when I was in the Air Force. They work harder for you and listen better. And, you don’t need to worry about them taking off on you if they know they have a cushy couch at home.
I agree, we’ve only two pieces of furniture they are not allowed on if they want to come snuggle.

Back