three amigos; 257, 275 and 300HH.

salmonchaser

Handloader
Dec 13, 2013
Took the girls to the range today, set my plate at 300 yards and laid out my shooting mat. Fired about 40 rounds of recalled reloads, stuff that wasn’t quite up to parr. Only frustration were my 275 Rigby loads/150 partitions/ H4350.. My math was bad and I didn’t get my come ups right at the start. Dang near killed the 2x4 that holds the plate. I might have said some bad words. After three low shots I figured it out.
Shots were from sitting and kneeling, three shots and then rotated between the #1s. All three rifles had shot dead on at 300. Looks like I was pulling my shots just a little to the left. I’m left handed to it’s an obvious trigger control issue.
Really like shooting the #1s from field position's, They are well suited to that kind of work.

Attachments

• IMG_7961.jpeg
    IMG_7961.jpeg
    685.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_7962.jpeg
    IMG_7962.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
Man, what a day at the range with some real classic rounds.

JD338

Kinda fun, every round fired failed in developement at 100 yards. Some only generated 1 1/2 inch groups at best. At 300 yards they all would have killed an antelope. Even the ones that hit the stand, had I done good math, would have been on the mark. I think this is the beauty of the number ones and testimate to Bill Ruger’s brilliance. They do not lend themselves to the bench, actually make it kinda difficult. Hold them like a rifle should be held and squeeze and they all end up in the kill zone at a distance most should give at least a little thought to taking a shot on game.

That is definitely a more realistic approach to shooting positions. My buddy has enough room on his property to set steel plates out to 800 yards. Half the fun is just trying the different yardages from various shooting positions.

Back