Son's first squirrels

ReloadKy

Handloader
May 13, 2020
IMG_1773 (1).jpgIMG_1753 (1).jpg

Squirrel season opened up not too long ago in KY. My son has been dying to go and has been practicing with the family heirloom single shot .410. Opening say was a little rough for him. He came home empty handed but could wait to go back. A couple of days later we went again and the little feller racked up 5!! When he saw the first one fall he got the shakes just like he does when he is deer hunting with me! Of course he got the shakes on the rest of them that dropped too!! His little sister had fun carrying around the tree rats.

He begged to go again so we did. Nailed 4 on the next trip. His "hit percentage" was much better this time which was a goal we had talked about together. As a Dad it is so much fun to watch the fire light in a youngster and see their enjoyment and desire to hunt. Happy hunting this year folks!!

That is just too cool! Congratulations to the hunter. He has done very well, indeed. And his sister appears to approve of his ability, if the grin on her face means anything. Dad, you are to be commended for encouraging the lad. Do you have a favourite recipe for these tree rats? And will your lad help in preparing the meal?

I like to fry squirrels. My grandmother has a great recipe for brown squirrel gravy so we will probably have fried squirrel with some mashed taters, gravy one night here soon! My son and may daughter both decided to "pull the guts out of one of the squirrels" which was entertaining for me, lol!! Both of them like to help Dad cook as well so I am sure they dip some squirrel legs in some kentucky kernel seasoned flour before it goes in the skillet.

Congratulations to all of you, especially your boy. To me those squirrels look pretty big compared to the tiny western red squirrels we have here. How do they taste?

awesome . when I would bring home squirrels my grandmother would make a meat pie with the thick bread crust topping . boy o boy that's been awhile .

Gerry to be honest the big red or big fox squirrels whatever you call them are so dang tough they aren't the best to eat. However, I will act like it is filet mignon when we tear into them at the dinner table, lol!

Ha Ha, had no they would be tough. Glad you are going to enjoy them no matter what!

I ate squirrel when I was a boy in KS (fox and gray). I don't have any particular desire to eat these little critters that scold me when I'm trying to sneak up on a moose or an elk. They are small, and I have no doubt they would taste like I was chewing on a pine branch.

Well done! Congrats to the young man..Brings back lots of memories, and I've seriously been thinking about devoting a few days to squirrel hunting this year, something I haven't done in several years, and this summer I got a hankering to go.

Back