Close Encounters Of The Hog Kind

hunter24605

Handloader
Apr 30, 2016
So the last day of our Alabama hog hunt I finally got to pull the trigger on a hog. The land owner said there was one in the field and we should slip through a little pocket of woods and then follow an old logging road to the field edge..The wind was right so my daughter and brother hung back while myself and the land owner worked out way to the logging road, then out of nowhere this big hog just appeared from behind a brier bush at maybe 25 yards..As soon as he presented a broadside shot, I sent the 140 Partition from the 6.5 PRC into his shoulder..I was excited when he hit the ground, but when he got up and headed straight toward me I started thinking "this is bad", but he only made a few steps before going back down. My brother asked later "did you really just bend over and pick up your brass while a 300 lb hog was kicking just a few yards away"? LOL.. We never knew this hog was hiding out next to that road, never made it to the one we were stalking...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dL41FKg9YG8

Yup! That brass is precious. Always police the kill site. You never know when you'll need that brass again. I did enjoy the video. After ragging on you, I should imagine that congratulations are in order. Well done!

I watched the vid first. When I saw you bend down I thought, “this guy is a true reloader.”
Looks like fun. Glad I got to watch from a safe distance. Congrats.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How big was the pig? I called a couple in last year with a predator call and was surprised how close they came in. Great video.

Elkman":231abm6u said:
How big was the pig? I called a couple in last year with a predator call and was surprised how close they came in. Great video.

Interesting, the sound of those predator calls does sound a pig in distress. This was the closest I/we got to a hog. He just appeared out of nowhere, right on top of us, and never knew we were there ...We dropped him at a skinner/butcher so he'll get us a weight. I'm guessing close to 300 lbs. He looked a little bigger than the one my daughter killed that was 282 lbs...Didn't see an exit so hopefully he can recover the partiton..He uses a metal detector wand so a bullet won't be accidentally ground into the sausage..

Alderman":euart60g said:
I watched the vid first. When I saw you bend down I thought, “this guy is a true reloader.”

He was trying his best, but it was obvious that he wasn't getting back up with his front differential taken out. So I relaxed a little, and just glanced down and saw my brass and thought; "Hey, I might need that"....My daughter said I'm going to end up living in a cave with a piece of brass I call "my precious"

hunter24605":2ax20js5 said:
Alderman":2ax20js5 said:

He was trying his best, but it was obvious that he wasn't getting back up with his front differential taken out. So I relaxed a little, and just glanced down and saw my brass and thought; "Hey, I might need that"....My daughter said I'm going to end up living in a cave with a piece of brass I call "my precious"
I can relate to that. Usually the brass gets in my pocket without hitting the ground. The rare times I’ve left one on the ground I usually spend some time looking for it.
Impressed by the size of the hogs. They pack a lot of weight.

Awesome job. My absolute favorite critter to hunt is the feral hog.

Great shot. Looks like the Partition did the job just fine.

That’s the funny thing about hogs, even when you kill them it seems to take a little while for the notion they’re dead to catch up with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back