.311 174 Hor RN

Polaris

Handloader
Dec 16, 2009
Took my walkin'around gun out for a spin this weekend to help my party get deer and I got a chance to use it. Its a Mosin M44 carbine with a low-mag scope. Cal. 7,62X54r.

I'm pushing the 174gr Hor RN (wish Nosler would make a Partition in this diameter with a spitzer profile!!!!) over IMR 4064.

Shot a large doe quartering away. Bullet entered 6" above bottom line of deer, 4" front of diaphram. Expanded nicely, shredding back of lungs and passed through exiting in far side armpit of deer with aprx 1" exit hole. Perfect blood trail, deer ran 40 yards and piled up. As a bonus this load groups sub MOA from the ugliest rifle you've ever seen. Bullet ran true with no deflection from rib bones or tissue encountered. Another great run for a great old bullet. Great bullet for close work in enfields, mosins, 7,7 jap or 7,65mm Argentine.

The old Hornady RN can be a surprisingly accurate bullet. Sounds as if you have a real keeper in that rifle. Congratulations on the doe!

Congrats on the doe! Hard to beat them old RN's at modest speed for ultimate reliability I think. Scotty

I have been shooting that bullet in various 7.62X54R rifles that need .312 diameter bullets with 50 grs AA4350, CCI 200 Primer, Prvi case, using a Lee Factory Crimp Die and crimping in the groove at OAL 2.790 . This is amazingly accurate and with other rifles in that caliber that need .311 bullets the Sierra 174 Match King or the 180 SP with the same load but OAL 3.000 and use a Lee Factory Crimp Die on it is amazing accurate. Have not shot anything but targets with either but it is a tack driver load.

Back