338Win mag and 225gr Swift A-frame bullets

Divernhunter

Handloader
Apr 1, 2009
No recovered bullets.
They must have done the job well as all animals were one shot kills except the Gemsbuck and that was my fault with the 1st shot much too high. Fartherest any ran was approx 50 yards only 2 animals. Most were dropped on the spot. On game shots ranged from 150 to 480 yards lazer rangefinder measured. Monkeys were not but ranged from 80 to over 350 yards and were fun(pest) shooting. Took Gemsbuck/Kudu/two Blue Wildebeest/Springbuck/two Impala/Waterbuck/Blesbuck/six Warthogs(some fun/camp meat shooting) and probably 30 monkeys(pest control).
The load was 225gr Swift A-Frame bullets. Win brass trimmed to uniform lenght, In and outside chamfered, primer pockets uniformed, flash hole deburred and weighted to all be within 1gr. Win mag primers. Powder was 71grs of IMR4350. AV 2834FPS, ES 22, SD 9 for a 5 shot cloverleaf group at 100 yards. This was repeated several times with like results.

That sounds like a great load right there. Seeing how the 120's worked in the 25-06, I can't imagine how good the 225's would be in the 338. It certainly sounds like it was magic in your case.

I was wanting more speed but did not find a load with more that shot good enough. I was very happy with the results. My old load with a Nosler 210gr PAR bullet would have probably worked also.

Same load as yours

225 gr A Frame and 71.0 of IMR 4350 used this load for many years in my 338 Win.

This years moose .......08 Sep 2017

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,916
Hope he was in a convenient place. Dressing can be work, but the rewards are so worth it. Again, fine looking moose.

Although the hydrostatic/hydraulic shock from high speed bullets helps disrupt the nervous system i.e. the 270 Winchester w/130's back in the day. A lot can be said about the big and slow heavy bullets designed to stay together like the Swift A Frame.

It's like what I use to say to people when I killed Moose or Caribou way out there long range with a 300 WM..... same velocity as the 30-06 at impact I just so happen to put the bullet where it's suppose to go!

Kill site in front of UTV
Wife Kelly with horns and meat ready to go home

Kill site in front of UTV
Wife Kelly with horns and meat ready to go home
08 Sep 2017

Attachments

• IMG_0205.JPG
    IMG_0205.JPG
    280.6 KB · Views: 1,906
Good show! Moose meat from the early season is as good as it gets.

Jeff,

Congratulations on your bull moose. The 225 gr Swift's are getting the job done.
You have a great helper too! Way to go buddy.

JD338

Thank you all for the kind words.
The 225gr Swift A Frame in my 338 Win with IMR 4350 has worked very well.
Just wished it had a better BC.
Thanks again :)

Moose season starts Sat 01 Sep 18
Guess what I will be carrying.
Your right on

338 Win.
225 Aframes Swift
71.0 of IMR 4350
Nosler Cases

I probably will not start hunting until next Friday
Rut usually gets going the second week of Sep.
wish me luck

Back