338 RUM 300 gr AB

JD338

Range Officer
Staff member
Nov 4, 2004
I recovered a couple .338 cal 300 gr AB's from water jugs at 300 yds. Both were recovered in the 8th jug which demonstrates some serious penetration.
MV is 2742 fps and impact velocity at 300 yds is 2369 fps with 3738 ft lbs energy.

Bullet #1 (R) expanded to .740" and weighed 197.0 grs.
Bullet #2 (L) expanded to .755" and weighed 204.3 grs.
IMG_06901.jpg

IMG_06921.jpg

IMG_06941.jpg

JD338

We have simply GOT to see one of those run through a Yukon moose, Jim! Hook it up... In the name of science :grin: .

i too found 1 from my tests in the ground they plow a huge furrow. no pics sorry. they are a nasty bullet. :lol:

Good weight retention; good expansion. What's not to like? Excellent pictures, Jim. Thanks for posting. A tad heavy for my 338 Federal, but you never know what I could end up with on another day.

WOW! That is incredible Jim! What a bullet. Man, you have gotta be really happy with how they shoot. That is exceptional performance and they look like they expand really well. Those kinda pictures make me wanna get a bigger 338!

Fotis,

These should work good on Antelope. :wink: :mrgreen:

JD338

FOTIS":2r3drxt0 said:
Are they tough enough? :wink:

According to my drop chart, impact velocity will be 1820 fps at 800 yds. I think it will work on a speed goat. :mrgreen:
Should be able to eat right up to the bullet hole too. :wink:

JD338

JD338":3l4dlm26 said:
FOTIS":3l4dlm26 said:
Are they tough enough? :wink:

According to my drop chart, impact velocity will be 1820 fps at 800 yds. I think it will work on a speed goat. :mrgreen:
Should be able to eat right up to the bullet hole too. :wink:

JD338

Yeah, but when the bullet hole goes from belly to spine, that is the issue! Man, that is some serious thump! Might be hard to ever capture one in less than a moose quartering to you...

Very little cleaning left to be done on those speed goats after being shot with that monster.

nvbroncrider":4qrdf6oz said:
Jim,

Is that wax to seal your primer pocket?

Magic Marker. I color code my loads so I know what weight bullet is loaded. Red is for the heavy hitters.

JD338

Jim, good stuff buddy!..that's some very serious medicine for sure!...Lou

Looking at that kind of expansion and shedding 100 grains at 300 yards, no wonder I found broken off petals in the jug when I tried to test them at 100 yards. Should be a heck of a big game bullet. I know I'm anxious to run one through something other than milk jugs....

IdahoCTD":1oyfnytj said:
Do you know how much off the rifling you were Jim?

Nathan,

I will take a measurement for you when I get my rifle back from the gun smith. I am having a brake installed.
I know there is quite a bit of freebore so I have just loaded to the max length of the magazine.

JD338

Back