Water stains....can you remove them?

cloverleaf

Handloader
Sep 10, 2006
Hey all- you know how it is when you sit down in your favorite chair, an ice cold beverage in your hand, and you reach out to set it down on the wife's great grandmothers antique table (which she has place conveniently next to the chair) and she screams from the kitchen (how does she know..???) DONT SET THAT THERE.....YOU WILL LEAVE A RING....!!!! ??? Well Ive got what looks like Water stains on the stock of the Mossberg in the pic below. Just some slight white Shadows... not serious I suppose but I cant cover them up w/ stain or seem to get rid of them.

I suppose it could be excess stock wax, but I can usually buff that off...... you can see some of it just below the comb pad. Any ideas how to get rid of them short of a full refinish job? Thanks CL

Do you have any tru oil? Take some 0000 steel wool and lightly buff the water spots off. Then rub in the tru-oil to a desired sheen.

Thanks Wyo7200 I am afraid that would take the stain off a well??? Those Mossberg stocks are just a stained Elm branch you know :) . That's not walnut under there. You've had experience with the stained white hardwood? CL

Learned something new there :). I'm venturing into wood working as a hobby and am learning new finishing techniques. The light color water stain is moisture trapped in the stain. You can try heat from an iron through an old t-shirt or blow dryer. If that doesn't work, there are few other things to try, which involve baking soda paste, salt, tooth paste, petroleum jelly on up to mineral oil and mineral spirits... I figure start with the least messy and see if it helps. It may take a few tries of various things to find the right one. I'd work with small test areas first until you find a substance that works. There is also a commercial towelette product for taking white rings off furniture- I'll see if I can find it.

Back