The Kings finally came in!

A

Anonymous

Finally got some King Salmon action...

Attachments

• 2018king.jpg
    2018king.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 1,706
I would love just one time to latch onto a King and go a round or 2 with him :mrgreen:.
Great photo thank you for the post.

Blessings,
Dan

sask boy":1m2dr6z4 said:
I would love just one time to latch onto a King and go a round or 2 with him :mrgreen:.
Great photo thank you for the post.

I love fishing for kings with a rod and reel, the sensation is about what I'd think hooking into a torpedo feels like. In this area we catch quite a few in the 20-30 pound range and we usually get one or two over 30 per season.

On different rivers the weights can go up from there but a 30 pound king is quite enough in current!

Kings are outstanding, like getting into a fight with an offensive lineman.
We've done a lot to destroy the kings, damns, Com fish, sportfish, mining, farming and Timber. Some idiot released walleye and bass into northwest salmon streams. It certainly is not as easy to hook one as it use to be. Still just as tough to land them. My boat is 20 feet long, 150 hp, 96 inch beam. Many times I've had 30 pound class fish pull the boat around. The list of things that go wrong after you hook up numbers about 1,000.

Thankful Otter":r82fn7dq said:
mike, what is the current restrictions on kings downstream from Eagle ?

There was an EO early in the season that closed sport fishing Kings on the Yukon. There may still be some subsistence fisheries open but I'm not that plugged in to that area. With the exception of a few rivers, most of the King Salmon stocks are way down across the state. Where we fish the Gulkana, this was the first year you could retain 4 fish I can ever remember. Most years, it's limit 1 and usually closes before the 4th of July.

thanks mike, I was just curious. I know the restrictions above Eagle are still in effect.

I am glad your able to fish for them again and the one you caught is a beauty--congratulations again

As an aside you and other fishermen here might enjoy this story. A while back a 750 lb Sturgeon was caught in B.C. and when I was back east some folks were asking me if I had ever seen anything that big and I said yes. A few years ago I was fortunate enough to be a part of a Bowhead hunt. It was quite the experience. Anyway it weighted approx 150,000 lbs, so it was a tad larger lol

hodgeman":3iso4ov3 said:
Finally got some King Salmon action...

that is great Hodgeman. I have never had the opportunity to fish Alaska but would like to do so. I was able to go Marlin fishing once when on vacation and really enjoyed that.

I miss the king fishery we used to have. The king run along the parks streams used to be plentiful and large. I can remember not that long ago catching kings until your arms were too tired to catch any more. It’s probably been 10 yrs since the last really good run up the deshka.

The Kenai run has been dismal as well. I can only hope that it will rebound in the future.

Here is my biggest. 62pounds on the Kenai.
700fd750ec46f5b6314caa171878fea1.jpg

Couple of deshka tomatoes.
241c4575064ffd7e490b05e0dab2dbca.jpg

19a9cf62b028e46cdedaf40572cef808.jpg

Going to spend the next few days trying to fill the freezers dipnetting on the Kenai.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

those are some big fish Bear.

Do you compete with bears for those fish in that area ?

Do you or Hodgeman have a picture of people "combat " fishing on the Kenai ? I saw a picture once and thought it was crazy

Back