Finally some promise with the new stock!

Cleveland48

Handloader
Jul 28, 2015
Been fighting this Boyd's stock on my Ruger American 6.5 Creedmoor for a while now. With reloads that shot great with factory stock .5 - .7 moa would barely make 1.0 - 1.5 moa with the new stock. Factory match rounds included. So ordered some more 140 gamekings and seated them deeper, and here were the results.
7f6bad4cda77a9fb8ef41bb3c0396406.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd say...that top right group is stellar.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

You are definitely putting the bullets where they need to be. Do the velocities appear to be what you were hoping to see?

Thanks guys yesterday I tried them at .005- .0020 jump and was not spectacular. Two groups came in a hair over 1 inch and two groups came in the .9's. All withtwo touching, or really close and one opening up the group. I was not expecting them to shoot so good with such a jump for a cup and core bullet. I honestly can't believe how seating depth affects accuracy so much it blew my mind. And I also how it causes point of impact to shift some. Well I'm happy now with these loads it matches some loads for the factory stock. I just can't believe how two different stocks shoot loads differently? I guess it's jut cause the torque that the actions are seated now? That's all I can come up with. I tightened the Boyd's to 35 in/lbs according to there recommendation, and the factory stock at 65 in/lbs.

#5 looks like a winner. Blows my mind that .020" jumps from a terrible group moves to a neat tidy group.

Usually 41.5 grains of H4350 with the gamekings give me 2640 fps through the 22" barrel. Gonna order a magnetospeed through. I don't really trust my 10 year old shooting chrony anymore.

looks like .090 is a clear winner. Seating depth changes pressure, change in pressure changes velocity, change in velocity via seating depth change means the bullet will at some seating depth exit the barrel on an accuracy node.

Same thing is accomplished with a set seating depth and tweeking the charge weight to find same accuracy node.

Great shooting by the way.

Thats layin em in there some old gooood with the.090 jump alright! Good job. (y)
Kinda the reverse of what your doing:
I am shooting a Boyds on my Tikka off a bench and it will about drive nails with that stock, so am sure hoping when I take off and slap it back into the original extreme lightweight stock it doesnt go Whacko!!! :shock:

Yeah my point of impact changes a few inches switching back to factory stock

Back