I need a new rifle

joedwhit

Beginner
Feb 20, 2006
How's that for a grabby headline. Heck, we all need a new rifle. But I am developing a chronic right shoulder. Darn thing has been separated in a traffic accident and has a touch of osteoarthritis, now I have torn the rotator cuff and will have surgery next month. Recoil is becoming problematic. Heck of a thing for a guy who is 6'1 and 250, but true. My .45/70 may have to be downloaded so far that it will become a specialty gun and not my #1 northeast deer woods rifle. My Ruger '06 bolt will probably go also. I want a tang safety and a 60-degree bolt throw for quick shooting and follow-up if need be. Sounds like the Bowning A-bolt, no? But, I like a heavier rifle than the 61/2 pounds of their short action a-bolt hunter in 7/08. Didn't Sako make a 3-lug bolt at one time? Any ideas, fellas? Help!

Joe,

Sorry to hear about your accident.

7mm08 would be a great deer rifle. You might also want to consider a 257 Roberts. It will kill WT Deer like lighting and there isn't much recoil, 12.1 ft lbs with a 100 gr bullet.
A 100 gr BT or PT or the 110 gr AB will perform perfectly on even the biggest buck.

JD338

300 Savage bolt action
6.5x55
7x57
250 Savage

Those rounds come to mind right off the bat.

If I was in your shoes I would be trolling the gun stores for a Bubbaized M99 Savage, restock it with new wood and a Decelerator.

ZM

I know it's not what you're looking for, but my 270 BAR has almost no kick. I'm sure that the recoil would be tolerable in just about any caliber it is chambered in. Follow up shots are not a problem either. :wink: Just a thought.
Rich

I want a tang safety and a 60-degree bolt throw for quick shooting and follow-up if need be. Sounds like the Bowning A-bolt, no? But, I like a heavier rifle than the 61/2 pounds of their short action a-bolt hunter in 7/08. Didn't Sako make a 3-lug bolt at one time? Any ideas, fellas? Help!
Maybe you should track down an older Ruger Model 77 and have it rebarreled to 6.5x55 Swede. Awesome deer cartridge with very nominal recoil. It is available in the new Rugers, but not with a tang safety.

Hi there!
Wel I have a Sako 75 III 7mm-08, shoots like a dreem. It takes eny game ut to moose. I wood go for 150 grs or 160 grs bullets and use it for all types of game.

I shoot a Rem Model 7 in 7mm08. I use 120 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip bullets loaded with 43.0 gr of IMR 4064 for a "book" velocity of 3050fps. This combination is deer magic for upper peninsula Michigan whitetails, lays 'em down right now, never had one go more than 20 yards and most require a tracking job of less than 1yard.....vertically. The bonus to this load is, even out of my v light rifle, there is virtually NO RECOIL!! I can shoot em and watch em drop thru the scope.

But now, talking about bonus points, the accuracy of this load is phenomonal. 1/2" groups are the norm and even with the barrel too hot to touch everything is held within a 1 1/4" circle.

Have you done any shooting since being diagnosed with a bad shoulder??? I have developed the same problem over the past couple of months and the haven't pulled the trigger on anything during that period. Does shootining cause probs for you or aggravate the shoulder at all?? I've got another two weeks before the appt with the surgeon and I'm getting antsy about not shooting...Good luck with your repair job....

Have you thought about the Weatherby. Short bolt lift and any caliber that you want. 25 06 would be a good choice too. A buddy that I turned on to it uses it for everything, including moose. I am giving some serious thought to another 25 06 too, after my new weatherby gets here. My wife even shot it and she don't like anything that hurts either. I would sit at the range all day and put 4 or 500 into paper at 100, 200, and 300 metres. I found it to be a very accurate cartridge that would litterally knock the tacks out of the target at 200 metres, which is fine if you're hunting tacks. An added bonus is that they are more than capable of taking deer at well beyond 300 yards. Yotes are in deep $*** at 500 metres. Whatever you decide on, "enjoy" I know I do.

YOu might consider the following calibers:
243 Win.
6mm Rem.
250 Sav.
257 Roberts
260 Rem.
6.5X55 Swede

I went through this three years ago. I have four girls that I wanted to teach to shoot and hunt with me.

The solution was a 224. TTH by Hill Country Rifles 26". #1 killer is the 75 grain Hornady AMAX @ 3800 fts.

Everyone told me it was too small, the "shock" effect was a myth, and I was just plain stupid. So I ordered one.

Forget the girls, I take this gun every time. NO RECOIL and I have dropped 12 deer in their tracks. Not another step taken in any shot. I never knew how cool it was to shoot and watch your shot through the scope. No jump. Three were large bucks. Most shots were 120 - 325 yards. It is precise and turns the lungs/heart to jello. To be clear, I am not saying you could kill with a .22 magnum...sure. I am saying that this load causes massive damage and usually an exit wound.

HCR made it as heavy as I wanted, it shoots under .5 moa, and has no recoil. Mcmillian stock, shileen barrel, rem 700 action I supplied from an old gun, 1:8 twist to stabilize the 80 gr bullets.

It is a lot of fun to shoot your hunting rig so much at the range. My 11 year old is confident, does not fear recoil, and is becoming a better shot than me at 300 yards. It is a surgical rifle. If you don't want to reload, call superior ammo and he will load for you.

That has been my real world experience. My loads are old, but since they were so deadly I have not tried the new 75 gr and 80 gr bullets.

I have a friend who hunts with a 6mm Ruger single shot for mule deer,whitetail and elk.Nice light recoiling rifle.Get a Limb Saver recoil pad or http://www.100straight.com for their recoil pads.BTW I had a torn right rotator cuff and a 50% tear in my right bicep.About a week before surgery I took my Ruger Blackhawk 41 mag to the range and touched off several CorBon 265gr loads, man did my shoulder and bicep smart that was in 1999 and I still haven't fired it. I had very successful surgery and excellent physical therapy making a full recovery.I shoot my 300wm, 06's,454 casull ,45 lc,45acp & 12g shotguns but if it starts smarting I take an anti inflamatory and layoff the shooting.

I really like my 250 Savage- Ive the same trouble. Also I dont want to put "wheelie bars" on my wheelchair to handle a 30-06 recoil :) CL

Lots of good rounds and rifles out there buy, sell, swap til you find one tht works.

Also do not forget you have muzzle brake options too! My 416 WBY mag feels like heavy loaded 30-06. With a cheap set of electronic earmuffs that actually magnify game sounds but block off anything over 85 decibels you're set!!!! :wink:

rquack":oidhbi2k said:
I shoot a Rem Model 7 in 7mm08. I use 120 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip bullets loaded with 43.0 gr of IMR 4064 for a "book" velocity of 3050fps. This combination is deer magic for upper peninsula Michigan whitetails, lays 'em down right now, never had one go more than 20 yards and most require a tracking job of less than 1yard.....vertically. The bonus to this load is, even out of my v light rifle, there is virtually NO RECOIL!! I can shoot em and watch em drop thru the scope. ..

What kind of penetration and meat damage are you getting from that load? I always went the other direction with my 7mm-08, and used a 150-gn Partition. I would have preferred a 140 but my rifle hated them. It did reasonably well on deer, though I had two "runners" that kind of gave me pause. One was shot through the back of the lungs, lethal but hardly an instant killer, but the other was drilled solidly through the front part of both lungs and the deer ran over hill and dale for about 250 yards and I almost lost him. That was when I decided to try .358!

I had my M7 rebarreled to .358 but I still have a 7mm-08 in a Mountain Rifle LSS, is why I ask about your load. I've been thinking I should start working up a low-recoil load for my daughter to shoot.... maybe I'll mess with the 120's!

-jeff

Back