I Shoulda' Stood in Bed

DrMike

Ballistician
Nov 8, 2006
Some days are just a bust. I head for the range with several rifles requiring work. The wind was gusting to 16 km/hr and averaging between 8 and 9 km/hr. These were not ideal conditions, but I could dope the wind and hopefully obtain some needed information. The temperature wasn't bad (-1 C and projected to reach +2 C by afternoon). I opted to shoot from the shooting shack rather than the open range because of the coolness and the wind. Shortly after reaching the shooting shack, things began to come apart. I managed to get set up without injuring myself, but that is about the only positive I can report at this stage of the shoot. These are the rifles I carried with me today.

ADaysWork.jpg

They are, right to left. a 22-250 AI, a Model 94 .356 Win, a Model 94 .375 Win, a Ruger 6.5 Creedmoor, a Ruger 35 Whelen and a .280 Remington.

ADaysWork2.jpg

I managed to get everything into the shack and even manged to get everything set up. I walked downrange and posted targets. Then, I carried my chronograph outside and began to unwind the cord. It was cool (-1 C or so) and my chronograph had been setting in my truck overnight. As I unwound the cord, the chronograph toppled over, breaking the head of the tripod. Of course, this would be the day I had not bothered to bring along an extra tripod, so chronographing the loads was now out of the question. I wasn't particular disturbed, as I need to finish sighting in most of the rifles and needed to do the break-in on the 35 Whelen. I would pull the trigger on the Whelen first, and while it was soaking, pull the trigger on one of the other rifles. The first thing that happened was that I wasn't as watchful as I should have been. I grabbed a bore guide for 30 calibre rifles, immediately causing the jag, with the patch to become stuck. It should only require a moment to disassemble the guide and remove the jag. Fifteen minutes later, after resorting to a variety of tools carried for just such eventualities, I inserted the correct guide and completed the task that should have taken a few minutes.

I shot the .375 Win, and it was gratifying to see what it would do with a scope (Vortex 1-4X24 PST, MRAD reticle) mounted atop the rifle.

PB240274.jpg

The group size is 0.74 inches. Not bad for a Model 94.

375Win.jpg

I finished cleaning the 35 Whelen, pulled the trigger again and started to clean. Five minutes getting a patch that was the wrong size out of the barrel where it had become jammed with the jag was only a minor distraction for the day. Taking the bore guide out of the rifle, the handle fell off, disappearing into the darkness of the nether world of several cabinets situated along the far wall of the shooting shack. The whole time I was wondering whether any of the local wildlife that scurries about on occasion might be lurking under there. I should mention that one of the neat little reminders of my days in medical research is a pronounced allergy to rodents. Conjunctivitis and immediate swelling of the contact site are the least problematic symptomatology; anaphylaxis is the greater concern. This exercise in exploration required only ten or so minutes, after which I was able to retrieve the handle again and get on with my day.

I next shot the .356, verifying that it was on target. The ammunition is not the hunting ammunition I will be using, but the group was still close to MOA.

356WinVX71-6X242.jpg

Surely, I thought, nothing else could (or would) disrupt my day. Foolishly, I shot the 35 Whelen again, and behold! No problems. The ammunition was the last of an old load that I had prepared for the previous iteration of this particular rifle. I didn't expect much from it, and I wasn't disappointed in my expectations. Now, it was time for the .280.

P1290206.jpg

I didn't want to shoot either the 6.5 Creedmoor or the 22-250 AI as the loads I had were all for testing, and I really needed a chronograph. They would just have to wait for another day. However, along with four sets of loads prepared for the .280, I had a number of older loads that I had worked up for my other .280. Without thinking that the Winchester has a long throat, allowing for much (muuuuuuch) longer COAL, I chambered a round prepared with a 140 grain BST. I'd just see what this does. One thing that I discovered is that this Remington has a shorter throat, and the longer cartridge will definitely jam a bullet into the lands. Then, when you have thoroughly engraved the bullet in the lands and finally knock the bolt open, the cartridge will extract, spilling its contents into the innards of the magazine whilst leaving the bullet behind, firmly ensconced in the lands. Consequently, it was sufficiently firm in its seating that I was unable to remove it with the tools at my disposal. This would require a stop at the shop to drift the bullet out. Of course, simply allowing the rifle to reside in the cab of the truck for a couple of hours cooled the bullet enough that by the time I arrived at the shop, one tap on a rod and it dropped out.

Well, it wasn't a total wash. I did finish initial break-in on the Whelen. I'll work up some loads (with the proper OAL) for this rifle and pull the trigger for groups next week. I did get the .375 and the .356 sighted in. I have some loads worked up for the .375 and I'll work up some new loads for the .356 in preparation for bear next spring. I have multiples loads to test for the 22-250 AI, the .280 Remington and the 6.5 Creedmoor. I have a .308 Norma, a 7-08 and a 7mm RUM awaiting attention, and this will give me opportunity to work up some loads for them between now and Monday.

Simplify your life and just shoot an old No4Mk1 with Hor 174 JRNs. You'll never be stressed again.

Glad you didn't fire any of those long .280 loads. I used to have a very short throated .270 that came awfully close to becoming a bomb with 150 gr factory loads.

Mike,
My condolences! :( Those kind of days are always an exercise in futility. However; If you had "stood" in bed you would not have accomplished anything and you might have bumped your head on the ceiling to boot :shock: . I hope your next range day is a perfect one! Those looked like nickel cases for the 280 - how do they hold up for you? Do you think they do OK if I tried to AI them?

Scott

You overcame all obstacles! Even one of those events would have got me excited. :lol: You also do well multi-tasking at the range. I am good for maybe two rifles. After that I lose focus on what I am trying to accomplish with testing reloads.

Your 94's look so primo! Nice. I think you saw where I mentioned that you were getting much better groups with your 375 Win than the Hornady team wrote about in their book. You certaily know how to reload and shoot your 375 Win.

You mentioned the shack. Is that your own shooting shack?
Thanks for the sharing Dr. Mike. I love the rifle pics.

338 Win Mag

Scott, I bought quite a few of the Winchester nickle cases. They hold up well. I don't see why they wouldn't work for fire forming for your AI. They don't seem to flake as some cases did in years past.

Polaris, I do shoot a .303 Ross on occasion. In fact, I need to do some work with it and carry it for moose this fall ... just 'cause.

Steve, the Model 94s have always shot well for me. I have had three chambered in .356, and all shot between 3/4 and 1.25 inch groups. I have had three chambered in .375, only two of which I actually shot. One wore a Williams peep sight, and I could shoot an honest 1.75 to 2.25 inches with it. This is the first .375 wearing a scope, and what you see is what it has done on the first trip to the range. I can't say that I'm displeased. On the whole, the Model 94 may have received a somewhat bum rap due to shooting over iron rather than shooting with glass. I've used the .356s to take grizzly, black bear, moose, elk and mule deer. They have delivered the goods for me out to 200 yards or so. I love the Model 94.

Seems like a good day with the lever guns Mike! A bad day on the range is better than any day at work!

Oh, yeah, but this will mean a rush to get all my preparation finished tomorrow. I'll be working like a slave late into the evening and again very early on Sunday morning. However, perhaps if the weather co-operates, I'll be at the range again on Monday.

"The worst day at the range is better than the best day at work...." Hope that was still true Doc. Nice rifles, and some promising groups. Look forward to the next effort. Sorry about the Chrono. From everything I hear those things seem to have a propensity for breakage. One in my posession would last about 15 minutes! CL CL

All of that and yet Mike you still managed to shoot pretty darn well! Now that's saying something! Just keep saying it over and over, I'm out here having fun, I'm out here having fun. :lol:
David

Okay. "I'm out here having fun. I'm out here having fun." When does the fun start? Seriously, I felt as if I were a bumbling imbecile today, but I managed to muddle through. I should be able to pull the trigger on the other guns by next week. A tripod only lasts me a few years, it seems, so I wasn't too put out by wrecking this one. Sticking the bullet in the lands, well, there is a first time for everything. On the whole, it wasn't too bad. The last trip was almost as problematic. Maybe I need a vacation!

I can certainly sympathise with you as I have frequent days where nothing seems to go as planned and Murphy is in charge. I guess everybody that has worked in the medical device and lab companies has something that they got for free to take with them when they leave. With me, it is a serious allergy to latex.

I really like those two big bore 94's that you have. I have always wanted one in .375 or .38-55 (didn't really matter which). The Vortex Viper looks like it would be an excellent scope for the 1894 rifle. Plus, your groups bear that out. Nice that Vortex scope is working out for you.

I only usually take two calibers at once to the club range but that is a whole different thing than you have setup at your home. Plus you are loading quite a bit for other shooters. Your loading schedule is a lot busier than mine is now. However, I can certainly see some of the things that I do in your experiences today.

Your "left to right" has me confused with the pictures

What is the fluted rifle and caliber? Nice looking piece BTW

Dr. Mike,
What is it about us guys going to the range and everything seems to go wrong!! I've had those experiences as well and should have stayed home. Good to see you added a Whelen to the collection. My tripod broke the other week getting ready to go to the range. I bought a new Chronograph to replace the one I shot with the Whelen last Fall. It failed the shot test with a 225 AccuBond. :mrgreen: Couldn't get the tripod to screw in properly to the Chronograph wound up breaking the thing. Bought a new tripod recently. BTW that 280 is pretty, love the stock!

Patience is a virtue I guess. It's a good report that your safe and nothing happened other than a little frustration.

Blessings my brother,
Don

Don, there are days that nothing goes right, and yesterday was one of those days. Still, as has been observed, it was productive in generating some data. The 280 is a handsome rifle; it is growing on me. My Model 70 Featherweight in .280 is struggling to stay atop the list of favourite rifles at the moment, competing as it must against this one. Sorry to hear about the demise of your chronograph. I have told people that I keep Shooting Chrony on speed dial. I've personally never shot one :roll: , but I have removed the ears on three or four, and debris (either cleaning media or powder granules) has on at least three occasions penetrated the front facing electronics.

Fotis,

I love how AccuWeather describes the day as "breezy!" :mrgreen: It does make shooting for groups somewhat challenging. At least, this past week I've been shooting mostly into the wind.

DrMike":31h5xew6 said:
My Model 70 Featherweight in .280 is struggling to stay atop the list of favourite rifles at the moment, competing as it must against this one.

Mike, no need in two 280's and I would take the hit if that poor old Winchester won't keep up!

Such heart. I would have expected nothing less of you, Scotty. :lol:

DrMike":sa11wt9a said:
Such heart. I would have expected nothing less of you, Scotty. :lol:

No problem Mike. I wouldn't want you to stress over which 280 you wanna carry. Doing this would make your life much easier. Life's to short to worry about which 280 should go hunting.

Back