need suggestions for a 1st rimfire for 7 year old

Buddy

Beginner
Jun 21, 2006
I'm looking around to get my 7 year son old his first "real" rifle. He wants a rimfire, so I'm thinking about getting him a 17 HMR single shot. He has a New England Arms Pardner 410 single shot that fits his stature pretty good. Any suggestions for a reasonably priced single shot 17 HMR that my son will shoot comfortably would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Thanks Zeke, I'll think long and hard about your suggestion. It looks like a good starter rifle for my son. Happy 4th of July.

I have 4 small girls and have thought about this a lot.

They love the chipmunk. It fits them. I like it because it is a single shot and open sights. But I am not it's biggest fan because it seems too toy like. I am afraid they might shoot their foot. But it fits them.

I found an old win 69a. They made a youth model also that is not toyish. Single shot. Winchester. Open sights. Something they can keep forever. The one I have so far is surprisingly accurate. This was my first pick.

Second to that is a CZ scout. It is fun to shoot, but it is really fun when you hit what you are aiming at. Good bang for the buck. I have a buddy that scoped one up for fun and keeps it in his truck on the ranch. It is shoot bottle caps at 50 yards accurate. It would fit him fine.

My brother bought a 17 hmr in the new england arms and it was pie plate accurate at 100 yards. Maybe it was a lemon, maybe not.

henry minibolt is an awesome little gun. My girls shoot it very well. cocking it is sometimes tuff so it something you might want to test first

I bought my daughter a chipmunk bull barrel when she was 6, her first attempt at squirrel hunting I was trying to let her get the feel of her gun and her abilities, she finaly said daddy the squirrel is a long ways and my guns really little, I don't think I can reach him. I calmly set my 17 HM2 with the 4x16 weaver w/1/4 moa dot down and said let me see your gun. I head shot the fox squirrel at 57 yds. now she knows what her little gun can do, no stopping her now.
R_R

Well if your sold on a 17hmr then you shouldn't have any trouble finding one. I taught my kids to shoot with a 22mag.
In any case a rimfire is a great 1st. choice I think. It helps youngsters learn about control, shooting dicipline, and it takes the fear out of report noise. And another thing, they're fun!
When it's time to move up to shotguns & centerfire it just works out better. I was teaching my daughter how to reload the other day (.243) and she did good, but she said the report "still scares me a little". A set of headphone style hearing protection with reg ear plugs solved that.

I started my boys on a Savage Mark II bolt action at 25 yards when they were 5 and 7. We spent weeks practicing safety, sight picture and trigger control, but we also finished each day cutting loose on action targets like balloons, charcoal briquettes and clay pidgeons laid on the back berm.

Once they mastered using open sights, I moved them up to a Marlin 800 series bolt action with a 3-9x scope. When they mastered that I built them custom Ruger 10/22s with trigger groups and lots of added features including 3-9x scopes. They love the 10/22s and can easily burn through 1000 rounds apiece per day, accurately shooting metal, wood and plastic action targets at 100 yards.

My recommendation - go with a Savage Mark II and teach her patience and proper shooting technique. They are very inexpensive (I paid $80 for mine) and will shoot any ammo.

Back