Savage 99 308 to 358 rebore

Thebear_78

Handloader
Sep 30, 2004
I finally pulled the trigger on a project I have been threatening to do for two years now. I mailed out my savage 99e in 308 to JES Reboring today. I’m going to have him rebore it to 358 winchester 3 groove, 1-12” twist. I think it will make a hell of an all around big game rifle. It currently has a lyman peep mounted on it but I may put a 2-7 leupy compact on it in the future.

This idea started a few years ago. Shortly after I found my son was left eye dominant I started picking up a few rifles that we could both shoot. Lever guns seemed to be the logical choice for a ambidexterous repeater. I’d always had a sweet spot in my heart for savage 99 and thought that a 358 winchetser would be a good cartridge for all around alaskan use. 200gr for black bear, caribou, and deer, 225 parttions for crossover and bigger stuff and 250+ RN for close range big game. It offers a lot of bang for reasonalbe recoil. Out to 300 yards it should work about perfect.

JES turn around time is usually only a couple of weeks so I need to get ready to feed this thing. I have a hundred hornady brass already, still need to pick up dies and some bullets. Anybody have any pet loads for the 358 that they want to share. As far as bullets to start out with I was thinking about 200gr winchester bulk PP, 225gr partitions, and 250gr speer SP. all bullets that have proven effective in the 35 whelens I have had in the past.

Really like the Savage 99, as well as both the .308 & .358 Win cartridges. I don't have any good advice for you - but I like what you're doing! A buddy of mine has killed a lot of elk with a .358 Win Browning BLR, which was re-bored from a .308 years ago at a time when Browning wasn't making the .358 Win...

I think he favors the 225 gr bullets.

Guy

That sounds like a fantastic project; it excites me to think of what could come from this. The .358 has been a good cartridge for me, accounting for quite a few head of game up to my first bison. It was a tad puny from that big beast, but it did the job.

All brass is WW. All these loads yields sub-MOA and excellent ballistic data in both a Ruger Hawkeye and a BLR.

Hornady 200 grain FTX, 47 grains of IMR 3031, CCI 250
Barnes 200 grain TSX, 47 grains IMR 3031, WLR
Barnes 200 grain TSX, 42.5 grains 10X, WLR
Barnes 200 grain TSX, 49 grains H 335, WLR

Sierra 200 grain SPRN, 53 grains TAC, CCI 250

Barnes 225 grain TSX, 52 grains W 748, WLR

Nosler 225 grain AB, 47 grains Varget, WLR

Hornady 250 grain SP, 44 grains RL 15, R 9.5

Nosler 225 grain PT, 45.5 grains A 2495, CCI250
Nosler 225 grain PT, 47.5 grains W 748, F210

Sierra 225 grain SBT, 42.5 grains A 2015, WLR
Sierra 225 grain SBT, 44 grains Benchmark, WLR
Sierra 225 grain SBT, 43.5 grains 10X, F210
Sierra 225 grain SBT, 45 grains TAC, F210

Sierra 250 grain SP, 45 grains H335, CCI250

My go to load is the 225 PT, WW cases, CCIBR2's and W748 in my BLR. It runs a cool 2450 in that rifle and is about the only load I really need for the rifle. I have tried a couple other bullets, but I can't see where any of them are going to beat the 225 PT in any reasonable spot.

JES did real well for me with my 35 Newton, I also have a 1-12 3 groover and it shoots really well. Took a little bit of time, and takes a handful of rounds to get back on target after a deep cleaning, but once it's on, you can shoot it a ton before it needs anything.

Mike listed a bunch of great loads. I would think it should be a really handy rifle for alot of stuff in your area of the world.

Run the numbers and you'll probably find the 225's are the way to go w/ a 358. You don't gain enough velocity w/ 200's to make them worthwhile and you lose too much w/ the 250's. You can safely get 2450 fps with 225's and you don't really need any more. I don't see any need for a monolithic bullet at 358 speeds. I load Sierras for deer and plinking and Partitions for heavier stuff. They shoot to the same point of aim out to 250yds. If you change bullet weight with a 358 you will need separate zeros. While the idea of a 250gr RN is a good one for close stuff, the 225gr Partition just works even at muzzle velocity impact range. I shot a moose at 20 yds in the brisket and recovered the bullet about 3 & 1/2 feet away, diagonal through the length of the body. It weighed 125gr and was a perfect mushroom. The bull buckled at the shot, stood back up, teetered for a second and dropped permanently. I also double lunged a bull elk right at 200yds and didn't recover that bullet but the exit showed good expansion. He ran a couple hundred yds but he was already dead and didn't know it. Wasn't hard to trail up. At that range/ impact velocity I would expect lengthwise penetration on moose or elk. Both animals were responding to cow calls during the rut and were charged up. I would have no qualms about putting that bullet on a shoulder of a big animal at contact range.

I have a couple of boxes of 250s left over from my whelen days and some 200gr winchester PP that I picked up thru midways’s bulk bullet closeout. Hopefully I’ll get the rifle back pretty soon. I think your right that the 225gr bullet weight is probably about ideal. I’m hoping to try out the 220gr speer fn because I have had excellent luck with 250gr speer in the whelen.

The 220 grain Speer has delivered fine results for several friends that tote a .358. It works very well for me in the .356.

I ran the 250s in my remington 750 in 35 whelen and at 2400fps they where accurate and held together very well. I'm hoping that I can get the 220s to 2400fps in the 358, that should make for a good general big game load.

Dr mike, have you had any experience with the 220s on game out of your 356

I don't have nearly the BIG game experience as Mike with that 220 Speer, but on deer, it acted pretty tough, I know it expanded well and left big blood trails, but I'd not be scared to plow one into larger animals at around 2400-2500.. I ran it out of my 358 Winchester with great results.

good luck, can't wait to see how your M99 turns out.

Thebear_78":15jx0ieb said:
Dr mike, have you had any experience with the 220s on game out of your 356

I've downed numerous large bodied mule deer (not a single picture), black bear to seven feet (again, no pictures in electronic format at this time) and one elk (Texas heart shot that broke one down right smartly, but alas, no picture). The grizzly pictured was taken with the 220 grain Speer Flat Nose. First shot broke both shoulders, dropping him quite smartly. I recovered two cores and only one bullet (final insurance shot passing through hump and recovered under the left front paw). I like the performance of this bullet in this cartridge.

Mike - nice photo & nice bear. Congrats.

Who was the fellow, famous hunter, who clobbered a bunch of the big bears with the 250 gr Speer and a .358 Win? I might have the cartridge wrong...

Guy

Got the rifle back today. It looks great, and under two weeks is pretty amazing for a turn around time.

I'll try to get some rounds loaded up and try it out later this week. Thanks again for the data DrMike.

Now I just need to decide if I want to scope it or stick to lyman peep

ff4983fc28d86fbce1943b1d31e273e7.jpg

You can see where the rotary magazine was opened up to facilitate feeding the bigger bullet.

695e0e86ad13807876849c7c49ed4666.jpg

Noticeably bigger hole in the end of that barrel

ed68efbd90ce3fdf96229524baf08d17.jpg

Very nice! Looks great. JES did great work on my 35 Newton as well. Can't wait to hear about some range reports. The one thing with the JES rebores is they seem to like at least 6-9 foulers to really get to shooting. Took me a few trys to figure it out, cause after a thorough cleaning, it would take quite a few rounds to come back on paper where they were supposed too. Once they are fouled though, man, they really shoot.

I loaded up some winchester PP 200gr JFN. No worries about feeding, it loads and cycles great. Now just going to load up some 250s. I won't get a chance to shoot today going to vote!
501a912f568712e8e25ab656ebbbee43.jpg

Very nice.. Your going to force me into loading up my BLR... It's been too long since it's been used for anything..

The only issue with the Speer FP is it's low BC limiting range. Not having to use flat points is a big advantage to the 99 & BLR lever guns. 24" barrel? I'd like to hear chono results.

I finally got out to shoot it today. I was pleasantly surprised. It shot very well. Started out at 25 yards shooting both the 200gr load and 250gr load into one hole with the 200s hitting 2.5" higher than 250s.

At 100 yards the 200gr load was shooting a 4-5" group and the 250gr load was right around 2-2.25". Honestly I think the rifle was capable of better but the large gold bead front sight isn't the best for longer range use, not to mention the fact that the trigger while not very heavy is long and creepy.

I think the addition of a partridge style front blade or even better a low power scope.

I'm compelled to use glass on my lever guns. Otherwise, I'm hunting by Braille. :lol:

Back