Avice and opinions.

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
I've had something in my head long enough now that I know I wont be satisfied until I try it. I'd like to put together a good handling woods/brush gun thumper in medium bore. I have an idea to get something like a 760 and buy a 35 caliber barrel for it. The issue is what to get it chambered for.

I doubt I'll ever get on a Grizzly bear hunt, this gun would be used for whitetail and black bear. I have in my head that a 358 Winchester would be just the ticket for what I want, but I wouldn't be against a 35 Whelen either. I have no experience with either one.

I know people on here do. Sell me on either one if you would.

I’d find one in 270-30/06 and have it rebooted to 35 whelen by JES

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you look around you could probably find a 760 chambered in 35 Whelen and every so often Grice Hardware and Gun shop in PA gets a run of them made up.
The 35 Whelen is an awesome round that will handle anything with little fanfare.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=36539

NY Dan had some info that Grice WHolesale is gonna have some 7600's in 35 Whelen soon.

I had one before my oldest stepson (who is a Whelen fanatic) had to have it. It shot well and I would have no qualms hunting with one. Whatever gets in front of a Whelen is in for a bad day.

Ron

If you're going to get a 760, might as well go for the .35 Whelen.

The .358 is no slouch, but why not go full length?

Guy

Guy Miner":x25q83u0 said:
If you're going to get a 760, might as well go for the .35 Whelen.

The .358 is no slouch, but why not go full length?

Guy

Well like I said I wouldn't be against the Whelen by no means just that the gun would primarily be used for tight quarters thick brush short range stuff and I kind of thought the 358 would be a good fit for that with less kick. Any idea how the 2 compare as far as velocity loss with shorter barrel's?

I think you've already decided that you want a 358Win so that is what I would concentrate on.

You would not be disappointed with either calibre one thing to look at is shell availability you will always find Remington’s in 200gr. 225gr. & 250gr. in the 35 Whelen if there was a need. It is a little tougher to find 358 Win shells on the store shelves :wink:.
If you are on a budget I have seen a lot more Whelens for sale than the 358s. just saying :wink:

Blessings,
Dan

truck driver":3k8y2edx said:
I think you've already decided that you want a 358Win so that is what I would concentrate on.

Not decided, but that's what I had in my head. But when I'm honest about it the reasons are probably more nostalgic than fact based. A caliber that's kinda gone by the wayside that was built on an short action efficient cartridge. If I'm gonna wish I'd have gone with the Whelen, I'm not afraid to be talked out of it.

Look at the Browning BLR in 358 Win. Or a Winchester 88 or Savage 99 if you can find them.

Have used mine for years hunting, guiding, camp rifle, horseback, on the ATV and back up for bowhunting. Very handy rifle! They can also be very accurate; while mine will shoot groups of 1.1", DrMike's will shoot groups of 0.33" at 100 yards.
Not as powerful as the Whelen, but will handle anything in North America.

Buddy of mine has used his 358 Win, Browning BLR to kill quite a few elk, at least a couple of black bear, and the odd mule deer that crossed his path while he was elk hunting.

It's a good cartridge!

Guy

Marlin 336 in 35 Remington. It will do everything you're asking in a nice, short package.
I have a couple, and they are great rifles.

I had a 336 in .35 Remington years ago myself. I loaded Speer 180 grain flat points. I killed a lot of deer with that old rifle and never recovered a bullet. That's plenty of power for short range woods work. Low recoil also. Just a good short range package.
If it was me I'd be looking for a BLR in .358 win.

220 Speer over LVR. It'll work for deer, bear and even elk. It can mimic the Buffalo Bore load for a lot less $.

I have a Rem 760 made in 1979 .35 Rem that is a good deer gun that sounds like what you're looking for. Not as fast as a .358 or .35 Wh. but works for me. Load 180gr Speer 180 Fp over LVR but shoots the factory 200 gr. Lev stuff inch or less. Shot a doe in our early season last week about 40yds destroyed the heart-lungs DRT with the factory load. Dan.

I went through your same thought process a couple of years ago. I was after a 338 Fed instead. I wound up getting a great deal on a 308 Win and just sent it to JES for the rebore. Worked out fantastically ! I even come in under $$$ as opposed to buying any of the new 338 Fed offerings.

You might run into some magazine feeding issues by stepping up in caliber, but it's not that big of a fix.

Back