Model 70 triggers

mjcmichigan

Handloader
Dec 26, 2016
I have a recent Winchester Model 70 EWS, with the zero creep trigger. I love it the way it is.

Has the Model 70 trigger always been good or did I just get lucky.

Have a friend who hates his M70 trigger, says it’s too heavy, he has not adjusted or had it worked on.

Interested in your experience with triggers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't had any experience with the newer rifles but the older ones were very adjustable and with some fine tuning they could rival a Timney.

I like them and find them easy to adjust. It also one of the reasons if I had a Custom rifle build it would be on a Model 70 XTR action Because of the Safety and the Trigger.

I'm now up to six model 70's. All of mine are FWT's ranging from 2 years old to 49 years old and I've always thought the triggers were very good, even at factory settings..My 280 has one of the "hunter" springs from earnie-the-gunsmith, and it's right at 2.75 lbs now with zero creep or over-travel, and I fell in love with it immediately.

hunter24605":233nag9y said:
I'm now up to six model 70's. All of mine are FWT's ranging from 2 years old to 49 years old and I've always thought the triggers were very good, even at factory settings..My 280 has one of the "hunter" springs from earnie-the-gunsmith, and it's right at 2.75 lbs now with zero creep or over-travel, and I fell in love with it immediately.

I’ve got a bunch as well... best hunting triggers in the business.. to me and for my uses there isn’t a better trigger for hard use.

I got one that I was thinking was made in the early 70's but after rechecking the serial number it was made in 67. Regardless it's got a good trigger for factory. Took some adjusting but it's got no over travel, just a whisper of perceivable creep before it breaks, and that's only picked up on the bench, and comes in under 3lbs.

Back