Old Time Craftsmanship.

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
Much respect for some of the things I run across. There was a time when pretty much everybody except maybe lawyers, worked with their hands. Today if you can build, fix, or make anything, there is some demand for your service, back then to stand out you had to be almost artistic at it and do it by hand with hand tools.

Pulled the stock off that savage 1920. The sling swivels were not any I'd ran across before.

Picture does not do it justice, but here is the swivel part removed and showing the rectangular stud that is not screwed in, but comes through the stock from the top. Appears to me to be a slightly angled piece bigger at the base than the end so a tricky hole to make, yet no matter how close you look, there is not even a slight gap anywhere all the way around, nor would you know from looking at the edges that anybody had ever cut through the stock to fit the stud. There is zero even slight imperfections about it. Amazing.

This is the steel stud base of the stud from the top. Is perfectly inletted into the thin forearm. So this stud base dropped down through from the top into the precision cut and finished rectangular hole for the swivel stud. The rear swivel stud is the same drop through stud, with the same not even slight gap anywhere precision fit. Without pulling the buttplate, I've no idea how they accomplished that.

You don't come across that kind of workmanship very often :(. Very nice piece of work.

Blessings,
Dan

Thanks fellas. It's a cool rifle in my view but there's nothing I done to deserve any accolades about it, I'm just a guy fortunate enough to run across it, at least in my eyes.

I had noticed those sling swivels almost immediately after I got it......noticed they were low profile that didn't just sit against the bottom of the stock but disappeared into the stock. Had my curiosity up. Still don't know exactly, but if I had to guess it's a 1 piece milled steel unit dropped in from the top like the pictures show.

Back