Still a blast to shoot.

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
Finally got around to doing some testing with my 1920 Savage with 100 gr Speer H.C. It has the old 1 in 14 twist and shoots the 87 gr speer real well, but I wanted to see if it would stabilize the 100 gr speer, which is the shortest 100 gr out there.

Doesn't shoot as accurate as the 87 gr, but I was pleased. Using H4895 at 35 gr's which is 1.5 gr over Hodgdon's max, but right at Nosler's max, it shot just over an inch at 50 yds, and just under 1 3/4" at 100 with iron sights. I'll take it.

A top load of Varget produced a useable load at 100 considering the woods ranges I would use this gun at are normally well below that, but Varget was 2 5/8" at 100. H4895 was the clear winner.

The old 1920. It turns 100 yrs old this yr, I've carried it a few times but haven't got any good opportunities. Maybe this yr will be different.

The 100 yd target. Taped holes are the Varget group. I had an under an inch group going with H4895, but the 3rd one was out. The black center circle is 2 1/4" for reference.

Also shot my Mom's old 30-30 model 94 that I keep here. Only at 50 yds but it done real well also considering it's being shot with 40 yr old factory ammo. Need to drift the front sight over.

Although, you didn't specifically say,
I assume, Your talking about a 250 savage cartridge in the 1st rifle.

RaySendero":23ky4154 said:

Yes sir. 250 savage, sorry about that. On this rifle it's old enough that it was before the 250 savage title and is marked 250-3000.

ShadeTree":e88avagk said:
RaySendero":e88avagk said:

I had that figured out after the first sentence! :grin: :lol: 85Gr CT's if you can find them may be your friend. Come to think of it, 90 Gr "X- Bullets" in leu of the 100 Grn'rs may work for you too. I have tried both with reasonable success. However, 75 Gr Hornady v-Max's are my most accurate load, even w/ my 1:10 twist. Probably not much of a deer bullet though. Fun looking old classic. CL

Incidentally, 100 gr Speers didn't work well for me. CL

cloverleaf":1p7r5usj said:
ShadeTree":1p7r5usj said:
RaySendero":1p7r5usj said:

I had that figured out after the first sentence! :grin: :lol: 85Gr CT's if you can find them may be your friend. Come to think of it, 90 Gr "X- Bullets" in leu of the 100 Grn'rs may work for you too. I have tried both with reasonable success. However, 75 Gr Hornady v-Max's are my most accurate load, even w/ my 1:10 twist. Probably not much of a deer bullet though. Fun looking old classic. CL

Incidentally, 100 gr Speers didn't work well for me. CL

CL, from the research I've done the only other bullet out there currently made deer capable, that is short enough that it may work is the Sierra 90 gr HPBT, but not sure I'd be gaining anything as far as bullet integrity over the 87 gr speer H.C.

The 87 gr Speer gets high praise on deer sized game from the guys that are using it because their old twist wont shoot anything else. I need to jug test it so I can see the results with my own eyes then I'd have a lot more confidence in it. It shoots that bullet like it was made for it.

Even though the 100 gr speer is not as accurate I'm pleased that I at least have a beefed up option. It is obviously stabilizing them well enough to use, probably because I can run top loads, being this rifle is a bolt action vs the lever 99's most of those 14 twist barrels were on.

Always does the heart good to hear and see people having fun with the 250 Savage!

I wish more rifles were still offered in .250 Savage! I should play with mine more.

A friend has a nice old Savage M99 in the 250.
But it don't like the 100 gr loads - Shoots 87 gr good.
He won't use the 87s for deer hunting and
rifle is worth to much to throw in truck for coyotes.
So just sits in safe.

Shade- I doubt a deer will be able to tell 13grns worth of difference if you hit 'em right. Saw your other post, you've got the accuracy there. Dad killed everything w/ 130gr Speers and a 7 Mag. Nothin' wrong with them! CL

Back