Notice: This site is not mobile friendly, we recommend you download tapatalk for a mobile friendly experience of our forum.

It is currently Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:26 pm

Shop Nosler

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sako L61R in 7mm Mag
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 7:01 pm 

Local Cabela's has a Sako L61R in 7 Mag.

Nice rifle, has a textured synthetic stock with a Monte Carlo check rest and a Pachmyer recoil pad. Cabela's guys tried to say it was factory. Need no comments about the experts at Gun stores.

It also looks to be coated with a matte black Cerakote finish and is Mag-Na-Ported.

Aside from all that, the barrel looks great, butter smooth action. The stock handles and feels great. Like a Remington 700 stock. Nice balance.

These old Sako's seem to have a cult following but this one seems to worked over to have any collectors value.

Sound worth $600?

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Sako L61R in 7mm Mag
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 7:57 pm 

Sounds like collectors' value is long gone.
At the end of the day, the Sako is a great rifle and they are butter smooth.
At $600, it sounds like a decent price for a a used Sako. The action alone is worth that. Even if it doesn't shoot, you won't be out much with a new barrel in 7mm or any other magnum case you may desire.
The barrel, if not Cerakote, could be powder coated or tefloned. Powder coating leaves a thicker finish that can chip. Teflon, like Cerakote is a thinner finish that has its own lubricity that won't chip, but can wear over time and use. I have several rifles with teflon and it does a great job of weatherproofing the metal.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 10:13 am 

Seems like a fair price for a quality used hunting rifle.

Like Blkram said - even if the barrel is shot out (which is seldom the case) it wouldn't be hard to have it re-barreled.

Guy

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 5:33 pm 

At that price grab it. Original wood stocks for them are selling for $300-500.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 6:13 pm 

The L61's were never offered in the synthetic stocked version. That was the "Fiberclass" which would have been an A-series action. McMillan has two Sako stock patterns that both mode :?: led on the factory "Hunter" and Classic stock patterns. They both have checkerring and a textured black finish. These McMillian replacement stock patterns were available for the "L-Series" rifles. I think that Bell and Carlson also offered Sako inletted stocks but these are not up to the quality of a McMillan. Sounds like that rifle had a lot of tinkering going on with it, so I would pass. There are a lot of L-Series and A-series Sakos out there in top condition, if that is what you want. If it were me, I would look at this as a donor for a good action. Guns International always has a ton of Sakos advertised on that site. Cabela's sells on GI.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 7:18 am 

Ah, somebody who knows Sako far better than I. (y)

Thanks for that input, 'cause I was more or less "shooting in the dark" as my knowledge of Sako rifles is limited.

Guy

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 2:40 pm 

Thanks for the input. I passed, also have a Sako 280AI that is a shooter and a few of 75 and 85 Finnlights (6.5 Swede, 30-06 and 338 Fed). The 7mm mag doesn't really add anything for me.

Find myself settling more and more into the Swede and the '06

Offline Profile  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ]  Moderators: NoslerV, Nosler4, JD338, NOSLER, FOTIS