1948 report on 30-06 deer ammo:

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
"The only factory load which, in our records, established a 100 percent effective record of deer stopping, over a five-year survey period, was the U.S.C. Co 145 grain Hollow-Copper Point, later loaded by Winchester. Even when handloaded to velocities as low as 2600 f.s.m.v. or to as high as 3100 f.s.m.v. it seemed always to reliably penetrate the chest cavity about six inches before blowing up. The other 150 grain factory bullets did not open as reliably and, at times they failed to stop a bounding buck in his tracks." 1948, F.C. Ness, in Practical Dope on the Big Bores.

Yes, I like old books on hunting and guns.

He talks about both of those. I'll try to find the quotes in the next day or two.

I did some deer control work with the old 125gr Silvertip load in the 30-06. That thing turned deer off like a bolt of lightning. Never got an exit would and never had one go anywhere but straight to the ground on its nose.

It did wreck a carcass throughly.

That’s pretty cool stuff Guy! Sounds like that bullet was the one for stopping bucks back in the day!

He's got some real gems in the book. It is interesting reading the 1948 view on things. I can remember Dad and Grandpa hunting, shooting, and handloading back in the early 1960's - not too far removed from 1948. :)

Brings back good memories. It's cool too that my Grandpa's name and address are on the book cover. :)

Guy Miner":1s8h5mtd said:
He's got some real gems in the book. It is interesting reading the 1948 view on things. I can remember Dad and Grandpa hunting, shooting, and handloading back in the early 1960's - not too far removed from 1948. :)

Brings back good memories. It's cool too that my Grandpa's name and address are on the book cover. :)

I bet. I enjoy reading that stuff myself.

Back