Notice: This site is not mobile friendly, we recommend you download tapatalk for a mobile friendly experience of our forum.

It is currently Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:43 pm

Shop Nosler

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New SAAMI Specs for .45 Auto Cartidge
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:33 pm 

https://www.shootingtimes.com/editorial ... -acp/99214

I know I´m behind a little on cartridge news, because I just saw in a magazine article that SAAMI upped the pressure for the .45 Auto from 18,000 to 21,000 psi. for regular loads, and they upped the SAAMI +P to 23,000 psi.
I know that doesn't seem like much, but look at the handload table a little further down in the article.
230 gr bullets moving along at 1050 fps or a little more?!? WOW
I think that's a good change. It made something good, into something great.
Along with bullet tech upping the performance of the old warhorse, and making it equal to the .357 magnum in performance is astonishing.
I´m glad they put a little more life back into a great cartridge.

Hawk

Sent from my motorola one using Tapatalk

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: New SAAMI Specs for .45 Auto Cartidge
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:33 am 

Oh, now that's interesting...

Thanks!

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:31 pm 

Guy Miner wrote:
Oh, now that's interesting...

Thanks!
Guy,

Out of anyone on this forum, I thought you would be most pleased with this info.
I´m surprised it hasn't been more advertised, or more talked about by the egghead gun scribes.
It´s still not a high pressure pistol.round, by far, but then again, it doesn't need to be.
I´m surprised, and.pleased as punch.

Hawk

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:46 am 

I've thought several times about using one of my 1911's as a 45 Super - that seems really easy to do.

But I dunno - I'm pretty fond of the good ol' 45 ACP as it is.

Selected 230 grain bonded hollowpoint +P Federal for our duty ammo at the PD. That stuff churned up 915 fps from my 5" Kimber 1911. Bucked pretty good in hand, easy to tell it wasn't the 800 - 850 fps ball ammo we used for practice.

Worked GREAT on a bad guy at close range to. Bad guy had been shooting and missing (thankfully) with his 380 pistol, trying to kill the officers and avoid arrest on a warrant. Well, one shot with the 45 took out everything important in his chest, and took him out of the fight instantly. We recovered the spent bullet, actually just sitting there on the couch behind where Mr. Bad Guy had been. The bullet had used up so much energy and velocity, expanding well and ending the fight, that it didn't even penetrate the couch cushion! I thought that was pretty much outstanding performance.

Guy

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:44 pm 

Guy Miner wrote:
I've thought several times about using one of my 1911's as a 45 Super - that seems really easy to do.

But I dunno - I'm pretty fond of the good ol' 45 ACP as it is.

Selected 230 grain bonded hollowpoint +P Federal for our duty ammo at the PD. That stuff churned up 915 fps from my 5" Kimber 1911. Bucked pretty good in hand, easy to tell it wasn't the 800 - 850 fps ball ammo we used for practice.

Worked GREAT on a bad guy at close range to. Bad guy had been shooting and missing (thankfully) with his 380 pistol, trying to kill the officers and avoid arrest on a warrant. Well, one shot with the 45 took out everything important in his chest, and took him out of the fight instantly. We recovered the spent bullet, actually just sitting there on the couch behind where Mr. Bad Guy had been. The bullet had used up so much energy and velocity, expanding well and ending the fight, that it didn't even penetrate the couch cushion! I thought that was pretty much outstanding performance.

Guy
Holy Cow!
That's the perfect load right there. Can't argue with that at all.
.45 ACP is darned good as it is.

Hawk

Offline Profile  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ]  Moderators: NoslerV, Nosler4, JD338, NOSLER, FOTIS