Hodgdon`s New Superperformance Powder

Big Squeeze

Handloader
May 29, 2007
Apparently, this the same powder now marketed by Hodgdon, which Hornady is using in their Hornady Superformance factory ammo.

FWIW, I was over on the "shootingtimes" site parusing the video section and came across a 3 min 21 sec video entitled "Hornady Superformance." In that video, using std factory 270 Win ammo, several shots fired over a chrony averaged 2888 fps. Then using that same 270 Win rifle, the Superformance ammo
gave an average of 3075 fps. A 187 fps increase.

Then, I go over to the Hodgdon site and see this new Superperformance powder added to their loading data for only certain cartridges. As an example, the 300 WSM from a 24" barrel using max loading of this new stuff, averaged 3410 fps using a 150 gr bullet and 3274 fps using a 165 gr bullet. Hmmm!

Then, I thought I`d cruise on over to the Hornady site to learn more if possible. In the "news" section under new products, I stumbled across and downloaded an extensive article by Dave Emary (the senior Hornady ballisitics wizard), which thoroughly explains the hows and the whys of this new powder. The direct link if anyone wishes to read that is.....www.hornady.com/assets/files/superformance-technology.pdf..........

In a nutshell and paraphrasing, this powder upon ignition, completely burns up sooner than all other powders before the bullet exits the barrel, allowing more gases under pressure to push the bullet, hence more velocity, and upon exit there is reduced muzzle blast as well...Hmmmm! Also in the Emary article as you`ll read, they cut down a 300 Win Mag barrel to 20" and discovered that actual velocity losses in terms of "fps per inch", were substantially less (1/3rd to 1/2) vs all other powders tested.....Hmmmm! As a shorter barreled compact rifle fan, this new stuff really has my attention now. Higher MV (as if I really need them) with less muzzle blast too.....HMMMMMM!

I`ve read a few posts regarding some lot to lot velocity inconsistencies with RL17 and in various weather conditions. It looks like this new powder from Hornady and Hodgdon, may have even better performance in certain rounds than does RL17, and may be more consistent and just as accurate as well.

"IF" this new Superperformance powder holds true to form in terms of MV comparisons with two other 24" 300 WSMs I chrony tested vs my 16.5" 300 WSM Ruger compact using a wide variety identical handloads with other powders, then as before, there should only be a 4.5% to 5% total reduction in MV.

3410 fps (24" bbl per Hodgdon) x 95% to 95.5% = 3239 and 3256 fps respectively for a 150 grainer.
3274 fps (24" bbl per Hodgdon) X 95% to 95.5% = 3110 and 3127 fps respectively for a 165 grainer.

And the hi-flying Berger hunting VLDs which I have used with great hunting success, have a little less bearing surface against the bore too.....HMMMMMMM!

From a 16.5" barrel and with less muzzle blast too?...Oh boy!...Gotta get my hands on this new stuff. You 270 Win should try this new stuff too!
From a 20" bbl`d 375 Ruger?........HMMMMMMMMM! Wheels are a spinnin.

When RL17 came along, my shorty barrel grew longer. With this new hi tech stuff, she may get a little longer even yet.
Leave things to good `ol Hornady to come with some really good stuff.

We are living in the golden age of ballistics. I am not a prophet, but I'll predict that we will see even more exciting developments in powders and bullets, and perhaps even in primers during the coming decade. Hang onto your hats.

Man, it is hard to believe it can get better! We have so many options now it is mind boggling! I like it, but man, there is only so much time in the day! Good luck, looking forward to hearing about this new powder.

I see they also have Leverevolution powder also! That might be a good one in the 358 Win?

I just looked at some of their data, they give 3700+ with a 60gr bullet in a 22-250! That is smoking, that could be something with the 60gr PT's in the 22-250! Man, that is like lightening and would hit coyotes or even wolves like a TRUCK! Scotty

Let us hope it works. Save up money for full load re-development gents, if it works!!!!!! 8)

from what i read it should be awesome for 2 calibers i load for 260 rem and 7 wsm :twisted:
i might start reloading for my 30-30 also,and give this leverevolution a try

"I`ve read a few posts regarding some lot to lot velocity inconsistencies with RL17 and in various weather conditions.
"

Links?

clearwater":1fkwvu5v said:
"I`ve read a few posts regarding some lot to lot velocity inconsistencies with RL17 and in various weather conditions.
"

Links?
.................................You can go over to the "24 Hour Campfire" site and do a search. I have read several posts over there by those who had large disparities in velocities from one RL17 lot to the next using the same charge and bullet, and alot of velocity disparity as well going from hotter to much colder weather also using the same RL17 charge and bullet.

As I understand it, RL17 is supposed to be in-sensative to temp extremes....................Maybe not.

In any event and according to the velocity #s I`m reading from Hodgdon, I don`t recall RL17 (see Alliant`s site) doing quite as well in terms of speed, like this new Superperformance powder in certain rounds. The 300 WSM happens to be a good example as well as the 270 Win.

I have little doubt, that Hornady/Hodgdon is marketing this powder to compete with Alliant`s RL17.

where are you finding data on hodgdons web site. when I go to data reloading center and search 30-06, 270 win, and 300 win mag I don't see superformance as a powder. I do see LVR under 30-30.

After posting this I found it.. wow what a limited list of cartridges. 22-250, 243,6mm rem, the wssm family, 300rcm

Here is the site for alliant reloder 17 recipes.

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/ ... owderid=25

They look comparable, similar weights in bullets running within 50 fps of each other.
That kind of difference is pretty standard just changing rifles, primers, brass or bullets.
The temperature issue we will have to see.

I bet it will be like comparing reloder 15 and
the various 4895's. Some will work best for some rifles, others for others.

I don't see a search function for the forums at 24 hour campfire.

clearwater":3017i4ex said:

They look comparable, similar weights in bullets running within 50 fps of each other.
That kind of difference is pretty standard just changing rifles, primers, brass or bullets.

............................I forgot that you have to be a member to use the search function. Try this link,,,,,,,,,

http://24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads.ph ... ost4535722

Big Squeeze":28w939k4 said:
clearwater":28w939k4 said:

............................I forgot that you have to be a member to use the search function. Try this link,,,,,,,,,

http://24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads.ph ... ost4535722
......................If the above link doesn`t work for you, like it didn`t work for me, then go back to......24hourcampfire.com......from there click "Campfire Forums"......Then scroll down to the "Reloading" section and click onto "Big Game Rifles"......Then scroll down to the thread titled,,,,,,,,"RL17 Temp Sensative?"

You can still read the forums without being a member.

I notice the powders are spherical. Perhaps not part of the extreme line then.

Maybe they will be similar to Alliants Power Pro line.

...my experience w/ Superformance in the .300 WSM was rather disappoining, good accuracy, but about 150-200fps consistantly below published data, using 165gr. Speer HotCor & GrandSlamss, Sierra SPT & HPBTs, Accubonds, & 175gr. VLDs. On the other hand, I was getting 50-100fps above published w/ RL-17 & a little better ES/SD. Personally, I've never had any problem w/ temp. sensitivity using RL-17, but I'm cautious about leaving any ammo out in exposed sunlight, etc., something you learn shooting PDawgs, nor have I noticed a perceptible loss of velocity hunting in 80 to -10* temps. My results were pretty much the same w/ Superformance/ RL-17 in the .25 WSSM & .325...

...stolen from the Ramshot FAQ...

Most of our powders are not insensitive, and will show some effect at hot and cold temperatures.

However, we test at -40F and +125F and the deviation in most cases are ca 3% to 5% at these extreme levels. Therefore most shooters do not notice much difference under normal practical hunting conditions.

More elaboration on the subject:

Complete temperature stability can only be achieved with tubular extruded powders designs, either with double base (NG) and/or with other coating technologies.

Because the ballistic performance at extreme temperature is completely dependant on the specific combination, it is very difficult to quantify and qualify.

Our standard powders perform very well at extreme temperatures, and usually pass the strict military requirements by a large margin.

This is a subject that often fraught with misconceptions and inaccuracies.

The term is used loosely by manufacturers without qualifying the subject, and is obviously exploited for marketing purposes and perceptions.

The facts are:

Although powders can be improved, it’s really only possible with advanced coating procedures and additives which increase the cost.
A particular powder can be improved re temperature stability for certain combinations, within a certain envelope which is specific to the following three main parameters/aspects
The caliber.
The weight of the projectile/bullet.
The performance level.

If any of these parameters/aspects go beyond or outside the intended ratio/s, the results will change and the performance will sometimes be different.

It is also very important that when a comparison is made, that all conditions re weapon i.e. components primer, case, bullet and the velocity are equal, and preferably done at the same time on the same day.

...since RL-17 is designed w/ the buffers mixed in the powder, not coated afterwards, I would tend to believe it could be manufactured more consistently than powders like Hodgdon Extremes, YMMV...

"A particular powder can be improved re temperature stability for certain combinations, within a certain envelope which is specific to the following three main parameters/aspects
The caliber.
The weight of the projectile/bullet.
The performance level.

If any of these parameters/aspects go beyond or outside the intended ratio/s, the results will change and the performance will sometimes be different."

Thanks for that Gene, after reading up on this at 24hourcampfire, the best way to describe this was the following illustration: using the 260 Remington cartridge you could expect a charge of H 4350 with a 140 to be stable but not a charge of Varget and a 140 where it isn't an ideal powder for it like H 4350 which fills the case pretty much perfectly.

I've heard mostly good things of Hodgdon's SP... but I just noticed this thread is two years old and it dawned on me... Hodgdon still doesn't offer hardly any data for this powder. Is the stuff that limited in its useful ability?

meatmachineman":32fywkdp said:
I've heard mostly good things of Hodgdon's SP... but I just noticed this thread is two years old and it dawned on me... Hodgdon still doesn't offer hardly any data for this powder. Is the stuff that limited in its useful ability?

It is quite limited in usefulness as it is formulated for a specific, narrowly defined application.

Most accurate loads and average velocity from a work ups with Superformance in a 280 Rem (24" barrel)
140gn Sierra Game King, 58gn of SF = 3168fps.
150gn Sierra Game King, 58gn of SF = 3113fps.
154gn Hornady Interlock, 57gn of SF = 3004fps.

RL-19 is very close to Superformance as far as achieved velocity from the same amount of powder.

Back