Notice: This site is not mobile friendly, we recommend you download tapatalk for a mobile friendly experience of our forum.

It is currently Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:33 am

Shop Nosler

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Very disappointed in Vx5 3-15x44
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:21 pm 

I had put a leupold Vx5 3-15x44 on my seekins havak. It was about the lightest scope that fit my requirements for this rifle. It was a great fit and nice and clear. The problem was in the tracking.

I noticed a definite shift right whenever I changed elevation. It would shift about 3” to the right when dialed up from 100 yard zero to 300. Originally it would shift back to the 100 yard zero. Now once you unlock the elevation turret and adjust up, it shifts right and does not return to zero. It stays about 3” right.

It’s going on a trip back to leupold. Anyone else having trouble with thier leupold Vx5 doing this?

Dialed up 2.5 MOA for 300 yard zero

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Very disappointed in Vx5 3-15x44
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:26 pm 

Don't have a VX-5 like you asked, but that sure is frustrating to have a scope like that that doesn't work properly.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:12 pm 

Is it the HD version?
I have a VX-5HD 2-10x42 w/ Firedot reticle ordered for my LH Sako 85 Finnlight II being rebarreled to 338 Federal w/ a carbon fibre barrel.

Leupold should fix your problem and hopefully restore your faith.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:13 pm 

Yes it is the HD

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:13 pm 

That's not good. I would think the good folks at Leupold will make it right with you. They have always been terrific in my dealings with them. Best of luck.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:17 pm 

I’m sure the will fix or replace it. It’s just frustrating when something fails like that. It shouldn’t be possible with their new erector system

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:14 pm 

Just remember that any item that is man-made can, and will fail eventually (and most often at the most inopportune time!), even from the best respected firms out there. It doesn't mean that all their products are bad, as lemons can occur at any time.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:46 am 

I hate to say this but working at Sportsman's Warehouse and seeing things, and reports on the net (taken with a grain of salt) pretty much verify that Leupold is not what it use to be.
Just the fact that the waiting list to get a Leupold product repaired or put CDS dials on one, is running about 45-60 days tells a lot. Use to be 10 days or so.
I no longer trust them for tracking. At least the sub 1500 dollar models.

Lately on my serious LR rigs that require tracking I mount Nightforce and SWFA. My Bushy Elite tactical 4.5-18X44 does quite well also as my Athlon Ares 4.5x27 .

Weatherby...There is no replacement for displacement!

My blog. Please Comment and Follow
https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:11 pm 

FOTIS wrote:
I hate to say this but working at Sportsman's Warehouse and seeing things, and reports on the net (taken with a grain of salt) pretty much verify that Leupold is not what it use to be.
Just the fact that the waiting list to get a Leupold product repaired or put CDS dials on one, is running about 45-60 days tells a lot. Use to be 10 days or so.

Lately on my serious LR rigs that require tracking I mount Nightforce and SWFA. My Bushy Elite tactical 4.5-18X44 does quite well also as my Athlon Ares 4.5x27 .
Yep. With dialing reliability comes a weight penalty. Leupold set and forgets on a light hunting rifle are great. Especially the FX 6X. Can’t have both yet. I’m sure it’s coming one day though.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:25 am 

gbflyer wrote:
FOTIS wrote:

Yep. With dialing reliability comes a weight penalty. Leupold set and forgets on a light hunting rifle are great. Especially the FX 6X. Can’t have both yet. I’m sure it’s coming one day though.

I sure hope so. Bear's issue isn't a lone report as Fotis notes. It is too bad cause their VX5 and 6's are very nice scopes, optically. But a scope ain't worth a squirt if it doesn't do what it is supposed to.

Actually, there are only two classes of people posting here: Model 70 owners and those who wish they had one. PATENT PENDING

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:38 am 

Replaced the vx5 with a nightforce NSX 2.5-10x42. 2 oz heavier and 5x less magnification but you can twist those turrets all day and know where it’s going to hit.

Sadly I’m out 1k dollars and have a vx5 I don’t trust. I won’t use it and even though leupold says it’s fine I hesitate to sell it due to its history. Maybe I’ll mount it to a light bipod and use it as a spotter, it’s actually got really nice glass.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:29 am 

Thebear_78 wrote:

Replaced the vx5 with a nightforce NSX 2.5-10x42. 2 oz heavier and 5x less magnification but you can twist those turrets all day and know where it’s going to hit.

Sadly I’m out 1k dollars and have a vx5 I don’t trust. I won’t use it and even though leupold says it’s fine I hesitate to sell it due to its history. Maybe I’ll mount it to a light bipod and use it as a spotter, it’s actually got really nice glass.

Bear,
When you say Leupold said it's fine, what do you mean?
Did they check it out and do nothing or did they do a repair?

JD338

Noslers Rock

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:29 am 

Thebear_78 wrote:

That 2.5x10 NF is just about my favorite optic if I plan on dialing. Amazing glass and works super, every time.

I sold two VX6’s that were both rebuilt 2x to another forum member. I told him all about the rebuilds and he seems to like them and uses them. I believe they work great for him as he isn’t a big twister and for that application they’re probably just fine.

It stinks taking a bath with these high end optics. You’ll not likely ever lose money with a NF though.

Actually, there are only two classes of people posting here: Model 70 owners and those who wish they had one. PATENT PENDING

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:30 am 

They have it. I’m assuming it will be “fixed” when I get it back.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:32 am 

You can not go wrong with NF. I have 5 or 6 of them.

Buy once cry once.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:34 am 

SJB358 wrote:
Thebear_78 wrote:

That 2.5x10 NF is just about my favorite optic if I plan on dialing. Amazing glass and works super, every time.

I sold two VX6’s that were both rebuilt 2x to another forum member. I told him all about the rebuilds and he seems to like them and uses them. I believe they work great for him as he isn’t a big twister and for that application they’re probably just fine.

It stinks taking a bath with these high end optics. You’ll not likely ever lose money with a NF though.
I used to be a big leupold guy, had a whole safe full of gold rings. I have more and more nightforce and only a few light set and forget leupold left

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:47 am 

FOTIS wrote:

Buy once cry once.
I was chasing that grail. Light, good glass, good magnification range, reliable adjustment..... it fell short.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:04 am 

Thebear_78 wrote:
FOTIS wrote:

Buy once cry once.
I was chasing that grail. Light, good glass, good magnification range, reliable adjustment..... it fell short.

I am right there with you Bear. I won't touch a new Leupold variable with a 100ft pole. Been burned a buncha times now. I still love their little 6x36's and the older VariX III's to some extent. I have had very little trouble with them.

If I am cranking on a dial, it'll be a Bushy, NF, or SS for me I think.

Good scopes don't need many excuses. I for one hope that Leupold fixes their issues. I use strong mounts in stable rifles so they really shouldn't act like a crazy person is steering them.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:39 am 

I have 5 Leupolds and 3 of the 5 have had to be repaired :(.
They just don't make like they used too.

Blessings,
Dan

Whelen is the way

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:45 am 

sask boy wrote:
I have 5 Leupolds and 3 of the 5 have had to be repaired :(.
They just don't make like they used too.

Blessings,
Dan

That's heartbreaking to me, yet when asked out in a public forum they basically said it's the shooters who were flawed.. :roll:

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:09 pm 

I sent my Mark 4 in for not returning to zero. They “claimed to changing out the erector assembly” I take their word for it. Zero to them must mean within a minute. I’m not happy , just learned to live with it. Better than when I sent it in. It always dialed out fine just not back to my zero. I have a VX3i on my 338 and it’s just fine.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:26 pm 

I tell you guys. For the price/durability/optical quality and tracking SWFA is HARD to beat. Especially the 3x15x42mm. Getting it to zero stop is a buck or so in extra expenses.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:48 pm 

FOTIS wrote:
I tell you guys. For the price/durability/optical quality and tracking SWFA is HARD to beat. Especially the 3x15x42mm. Getting it to zero stop is a buck or so in extra expenses.

Make mine the 3x9 but yup, I echo what you're screaming!

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:06 pm 

When I was interviewing for an engineering job at Leupold I was told that the MK4 was the most assembly intensive scope they made (this was back in the mid 90s). I am sure that the design changed in order to reduce cost. I am sure that all those cost saving ideas have made it into all of their scopes these days. I hate seeing the quality drop and I am thankful I have had good luck with mine.

I do know that the NF guys bagged on Lupys for their lack of positive adjustment for the past 2 decades and I doubt that anything was done to improve the situation on Leupolds side.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:16 pm 

I currently have a couple of VX 3 which I will be testing their CDs dials soon. Very curious

Offline Profile  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Moderators: NoslerV, Nosler4, JD338, NOSLER, FOTIS Go to page 1, 2  Next