The Ram

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
PC211566 (2)-1.JPG
The biggest ram in our local herd. His buddy, just about as big, was hit and killed by a car on the highway a few months ago. :(

This guy is often within 7 miles of my home. I've spent a lot of hours on the mountain with him, sometimes sitting quietly within 50 yards of him. He knew I was there. I think he knows my Jeep, and I think he knows me.

I've been applying for the once in a lifetime tag for a couple of decades. The odds are thousands to one against drawing it and only one or two tags a year are allocated for this herd. A few years back the world record "California" bighorn came from this herd, this area. That tag went to a really good guy, a friend of mine. Couldn't have gone to a more deserving hunter.

But this ram and I? I dunno. Now when I go out to photograph him, I find myself scanning the rocky cliffs, the sagebrush, to see if a cougar is trying to sneak in on him. I'd defend this ram in a heartbeat, not just because I'd like to nail a big cat.

The ram seems to know me anymore, and to trust me. I've been taking photos of him for three years now. He tolerates me, sometimes within 50 yards... I'm not sure I could bring myself to shoot him with anything except my camera. This photo was taken yesterday, and he was a little uneasy because my idiot bird dog wouldn't stop whining.

Guy

Strange how we can become attached to an animal. Some years back, I felt a strange attachment to a large grizzly that had bluff charged me once and put several hunters atop brush piles at various times. I felt some rather strange emotions when a friend of mine shot that bear. Perhaps it is something like your attachment for that ram. Yeah, I think I understand how you might readily protect him from a cougar. I do enjoy reading of your photography work with this herd.

What a noble creature. You captured the moment Guy. Very cool relationship you have created with the king of the mountain.

JD338

Thanks as always for sharing Guy. I cant say how I would feel about a sheep like that. I know that If I could relive some of the antelope/deer hunts I 've been on, I would do so without a tag, in a heartbeat. CL

There have been a good number of animals I’ve decided not to pull the trigger on through the years. It’s a personal choice between you and that animal. Look at it this way………..He just lost his brother, let him be for now.

Guy, I keep coming back to this post. It gives me a good feeling, but at the same time it strikes a spot deep within me. Thanks for this one. Stunning photography and a compelling narrative.

View attachment 16116
The biggest ram in our local herd. His buddy, just about as big, was hit and killed by a car on the highway a few months ago. :(

This guy is often within 7 miles of my home. I've spent a lot of hours on the mountain with him, sometimes sitting quietly within 50 yards of him. He knew I was there. I think he knows my Jeep, and I think he knows me.

I've been applying for the once in a lifetime tag for a couple of decades. The odds are thousands to one against drawing it and only one or two tags a year are allocated for this herd. A few years back the world record "California" bighorn came from this herd, this area. That tag went to a really good guy, a friend of mine. Couldn't have gone to a more deserving hunter.

But this ram and I? I dunno. Now when I go out to photograph him, I find myself scanning the rocky cliffs, the sagebrush, to see if a cougar is trying to sneak in on him. I'd defend this ram in a heartbeat, not just because I'd like to nail a big cat.

The ram seems to know me anymore, and to trust me. I've been taking photos of him for three years now. He tolerates me, sometimes within 50 yards... I'm not sure I could bring myself to shoot him with anything except my camera. This photo was taken yesterday, and he was a little uneasy because my idiot bird dog wouldn't stop whining.

Guy
Great picture, guy!

Guy, I keep coming back to this post. It gives me a good feeling, but at the same time it strikes a spot deep within me. Thanks for this one. Stunning photography and a compelling narrative.

Thank you. :)

Back