300 RUM 168 TTSX and Magnum Powder

SJB358

Ballistician
Dec 24, 2006
I had a little free time today and realized I have a pile of 168 TTSXs. I was planning on tearing this rifle apart and making it something else. I also had a bunch of Magnum powder so I decided to see what I could do with them.

I used RP cases, CCI250’ and of course Magnum all set at 3.585 COAL

Did a quick ladder with 1/2 grain charges

Saw a node around 99.5 grains.

I was quite happy when I looked thru the spotter. I’ll reshoot them again but those seem like a decent critter getter.

My goodness, it'd be hard to better that load. Those bullets delivered at that velocity will work on about anything you might wish to hunt in NA. I've enjoyed some great success with 168 TSX in my 300 WSM over the years. Can only speculate that delivered at the velocity you're generating they'll take down about anything waaaaaaaaay out there.

My goodness, it'd be hard to better that load. Those bullets delivered at that velocity will work on about anything you might wish to hunt in NA. I've enjoyed some great success with 168 TSX in my 300 WSM over the years. Can only speculate that delivered at the velocity you're generating they'll take down about anything waaaaaaaaay out there.
I was wondering if you’d used them Mike.

I knew you used alot of 180 TSX’s. I’ve heard nothing but good about them from friends and reading.

Yes, I've used them. And I enjoyed great success both in accuracy and in killing game with them.

I have shot a few Elk and a bunch of deer with 168 mono's at 3400 fps in my RUM. Has always done the job quite well.

I had a little free time today and realized I have a pile of 168 TTSXs. I was planning on tearing this rifle apart and making it something else. I also had a bunch of Magnum powder so I decided to see what I could do with them.

I used RP cases, CCI250’ and of course Magnum all set at 3.585 COAL

Did a quick ladder with 1/2 grain charges

Saw a node around 99.5 grains.

I was quite happy when I looked thru the spotter. I’ll reshoot them again but those seem like a decent critter getter.

Well, now that load is something right there! I've often wondered how a 168 copper bullet would perform in my 300 RUM.
I'd be curious to see how it shoots 500-600 yards compared to a bullet with a higher B.C. I would think it will perform really well on Elk and Moose.

Good shooting!

Don

Well, now that load is something right there! I've often wondered how a 168 copper bullet would perform in my 300 RUM.
I'd be curious to see how it shoots 500-600 yards compared to a bullet with a higher B.C. I would think it will perform really well on Elk and Moose.

Good shooting!

Don

We will find out soon enough Don. For some reason I love the danged cartridge. It’s big, uses a pile of powder, it’s sorta expensive but Jeeze it’s accurate.

I’ll get it out soon at distance.

That thing is a beast Scotty and you have it working very well. Does it have a brake on it? I worked with one a yr or so ago with no brake, but insisted they provided a lead sled to do so. I wasn't real keen on loosening up my fillings just for charity. Ha.

We will find out soon enough Don. For some reason I love the danged cartridge. It’s big, uses a pile of powder, it’s sorta expensive but Jeeze it’s accurate.

I’ll get it out soon at distance.
Scotty,
I remember a few years back, a gun shop here in Nashville, where a guy had the licensing rights to the 7.82 Lazzeroni Warbird rifle.
He used 150 grain nickel coated bullets that I swear looked like a barnes TSX bullets. He told me the load was 3700 fps. He said it was one shot kills
and struck like lightning. He had some pretty awesome Elk and Mule Deer Buck Trophies there.

This is why I believe you're onto something with this new load. I've even pondered how the Nosler 165 E-tip would perform in the 300 RUM. It would be interesting to compare bullet energy with the 168 verses the 200 AB at 500-600 yards with the given bullets speed too.

Don

I know for a fact that the 168 TTSX will completely penetrate a bull moose stem to stern, that’s 5+ feet of moose. Including a big bag of grass clippings. Hard to ask more of a bullet than that.

Scotty,
I remember a few years back, a gun shop here in Nashville, where a guy had the licensing rights to the 7.82 Lazzeroni Warbird rifle.
He used 150 grain nickel coated bullets that I swear looked like a barnes TSX bullets. He told me the load was 3700 fps. He said it was one shot kills
and struck like lightning. He had some pretty awesome Elk and Mule Deer Buck Trophies there.

This is why I believe you're onto something with this new load. I've even pondered how the Nosler 165 E-tip would perform in the 300 RUM. It would be interesting to compare bullet energy with the 168 verses the 200 AB at 500-600 yards with the given bullets speed too.

Don
Don, I ran the numbers the other day and out to 600 they were pretty close, past that point, the 200 AB's started to pull ahead.

The 168 ETip might be even closer as the BC is a bit higher as well. I tried a few of them in my old 300 RUM and that shot very well at about the same speed.
That thing is a beast Scotty and you have it working very well. Does it have a brake on it? I worked with one a yr or so ago with no brake, but insisted they provided a lead sled to do so. I wasn't real keen on loosening up my fillings just for charity. Ha.

It does have a brake on it, so it isn't real bad, but it is still a 300 RUM in an 8 1/2lb rifle, so it bucks and snorts pretty decent.

I sold my 300 RUM, Rem 700 CDL, long ago... It bucked and snorted pretty decent too! :)

Eventually replaced it with the 30-06 version. Whew! ;) Much happier shooter.

Guy

3400 fps is cooking. I run the 165gr TTSXs in my 300 WBY a little slower at 3360s and no brake needed. Flattens whitetails 😁
FD765616-CA34-4111-9C17-201F1EFEA787.jpeg

Back