Magnum Primers.

Agreed! Educating article for sure. I now know why a couple people I know had issues with some misfires on CCI primers that were made and purchased back in the 80's.
I had misfires with CCI in that time frame and quit using them for a long time but started again few years ago with no problems. Might have been some bad lots. Dan.

I had misfires with CCI in that time frame and quit using them for a long time but started again few years ago with no problems. Might have been some bad lots. Dan.

According to that article the problem that popped up with some people was misfires simply due to seating the primer too hard against the bottom of the primer pocket, in conjunction with a more brittle primer mix that was used by CCI back then. It would squash the mix against the anvil and break it up leaving too little mix under the tip of the anvil. The writer of the article claims to have never ran into that issue because he used a hand primer. The mix that did not like over seating was changed some years prior to the author arriving at CCI in 1987.

Back