Good Day Gone Bad

hunter24605

Handloader
Apr 30, 2016
Took my old 50 cal CVA Frontier carbine out to do some shooting. Started out really good. Shooting my favorite load:
270 Gr .44 Deep Curl
44-50 Sabot
100 Gr pyrodex
CCI # 11 Percussion Cap

Everything shot very well as usual at 75 yards, but after the 3rd shot I noticed the nipple split and trying to remove it the drum cracked. Oh well, replacement parts are cheap, I'll keep the old girl going with some fresh parts...I say "Old", Although she's only about 30 years old.
Shhhh! Don't tell it that its a junk CVA that won't shoot, I don't think its figured that out yet..LOL

Attachments

• IMG_1352 (1).jpg
    IMG_1352 (1).jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_4719.jpg
    IMG_4719.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 22
That's a bummer for sure. Hope the drum comes out ok. They can be a pain to remove as well. Remember it goes thru the breech plug side. At least the ones I've had and seen did. Dan.

That's a bummer for sure. Hope the drum comes out ok. They can be a pain to remove as well. Remember it goes thru the breech plug side. At least the ones I've had and seen did. Dan.
Good reminder 👍 the drum spun right out. Maybe when it cracked it loosened it up.

Sorry that you had a bad day at the range. The next best thing to shooting a rifle is to tinker with one. I hope you find your parts readily available.

The Gun Works, or TOTW will get you set up with what you need in short order if you don’t have the parts on hand. One possible suggestion. Seeing as the drum split, go with a drum with slightly oversize threads. This will let you clean up the threads and ensure a tight seal. They have them made for this exact occurrence and they don't incur more cost. .

Back