My 30 Nosler

Yoteklr

Work, load, shoot, hunt, repeat
Apr 19, 2022
20220402_092330~3.jpg
PacNor 9 twist 26". PVA brake.
Pretty sure I'm done with load development. I'm thrilled.
200gr Hybrid Target (not the 200.20x) .020" jump, 85.6gr Retumbo, Cci250 primers, ADG brass. 3129 fps.

Shot at 200 yards from a hunting bag.

10987~2.jpeg

Nice rifle. She's a shooter for sure. What is the weight of your rifle? My wife has to Nosler M48 Mountain Carbon in 30 Nosler. With a Leupold VX-6HD 3-18x50mm, it tips the scale at 8.00 pounds.

JD338
She's just heavy enough to shoot good.
Right at 11lb. scoped.

PacNor 9 twist 26". PVA brake.
Pretty sure I'm done with load development. I'm thrilled.
200gr Hybrid Target (not the 200.20x) .020" jump, 85.6gr Retumbo, Cci250 primers, ADG brass. 3129 fps.

Shot at 200 yards from a hunting bag.
Very nice rifle!!!

Have you noticed any temperature instability / pressure spikes from using Retumbo?

Early on when I got my .30 Nosler I read quite a few articles where people were experiencing pressure spikes with Retumbo and for that reason I've shied away from using it. I have not followed up on the issue since & it may no longer be a concern...Just curious if you noticed it in cold weather?

Thanks.

No sir I haven't.
I really don't believe I'm close to top gear/ max pressure. I believe Retumbo will hit a wall with little or no warning .

Years ago I had a 264WM blow primers when the temperature went below freezing!!! That was scary!
I blamed it on the temp but it might have been carbon accumulation in the barrel. Retumbo is a very dirty powder, you need a borescope to verify that you don't have a hard carbon ring in the throat or in the rifling.
I have been shooting this combo all winter to 5°. I don't hunt over 70° so I just don't shoot my hunting rifles over 70°, but that's me.

Have you noticed any temperature instability / pressure spikes from using Retumbo?

Early on when I got my .30 Nosler I read quite a few articles where people were experiencing pressure spikes with Retumbo and for that reason I've shied away from using it. I have not followed up on the issue since & it may no longer be a concern...Just curious if you noticed it in cold weather?

Thanks.
I have not had any trouble with Retumbo in a variety of temps. I also do not run things to the edge pressure wise either.
Carbon ring can surely cause problems

Back