Salmonchaser goes to Africa

SC,
You have had an amazing adventure. Sue and I have a safari on our list when I retire. We are looking forward to hearing more about your safari.
Thank you for sharing and safe travels.

JD338
Had I been so inclined I could easily have taken 20 species in 10 days. Shot three yesterday. Only saw a couple of bushbuck, missed one killed the other. Actually think if I had a fat wallet and wasn’t particular 3 peer day is doable but two much more reasonable. There was a wealthy surgeon in camp who had his house and trophies burn down. Two weeks 30 heads, including a Sable and a Buffalo.
The private family holdings are 100,000+ hectares. They have leased another 300,000+ I hunted on about 10,000 acres. Today alone I saw 200 bless buck and an equal number of spring buck, couple hundred black wildebeest, 40 or so Kudu, 3 real good bulls, impala, Buffalo, giraffe, sable, gemsbuck, oh and looked into a cave that carbon dated artifacts go back to 800bc. Also waterbuck, baboons, monkeys lechway and I’m sure others.
This outfit has it figured out.

The family church, re roofed but well over 100.

Attachments

• 7B01A0FF-DA96-4FEE-81D2-41D7F79ECC2C.jpeg
    7B01A0FF-DA96-4FEE-81D2-41D7F79ECC2C.jpeg
    566.1 KB · Views: 10
  • F5079245-A99C-4838-8A82-FA7418D97196.jpeg
    F5079245-A99C-4838-8A82-FA7418D97196.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
  • 6F54EAF7-7FBA-489B-8841-A53E2A39C0D1.jpeg
    6F54EAF7-7FBA-489B-8841-A53E2A39C0D1.jpeg
    627.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 82E9A3EB-869E-4E01-9D20-DC8654CAA72C.jpeg
    82E9A3EB-869E-4E01-9D20-DC8654CAA72C.jpeg
    484.8 KB · Views: 10
How did I only now find this thread?

SC - those are some amazing animals; and more importantly, some amazing stories. Thank you so much for sharing.

I assume you ar on your way home soon. congratulations on a successful safari.

Will you spend a few days in London ?

Did you use the same rifle AND bullet for every animal ?

Did you find the 300 H & H before you left and if so did you take it with you ?

If you went again of plains game and could take any caliber you wanted, not necessarily have, what would you take ?

Was no big 5, just a monetary decision or did you not want to hunt them--if you did want to hunt them, which one would interest you the most ? ( for me--Lion )

Did you get a chance to go to that hotel, April likes, at Victoria Falls ?

Did you see any cool Double rifles ? Use any ?

Wow, what a trip, congratulations again, you have certainly both earned it !

That’s a lot of critters to bring home 😁. Congrats on very successful hunt.

Had I been so inclined I could easily have taken 20 species in 10 days. Shot three yesterday. Only saw a couple of bushbuck, missed one killed the other. Actually think if I had a fat wallet and wasn’t particular 3 peer day is doable but two much more reasonable. There was a wealthy surgeon in camp who had his house and trophies burn down. Two weeks 30 heads, including a Sable and a Buffalo.
The private family holdings are 100,000+ hectares. They have leased another 300,000+ I hunted on about 10,000 acres. Today alone I saw 200 bless buck and an equal number of spring buck, couple hundred black wildebeest, 40 or so Kudu, 3 real good bulls, impala, Buffalo, giraffe, sable, gemsbuck, oh and looked into a cave that carbon dated artifacts go back to 800bc. Also waterbuck, baboons, monkeys lechway and I’m sure others.
This outfit has it figured out.
If you don't mind me asking, what did a trip like that cost? Dreaming of doing a hunt like that some day.

chris

If you don't mind me asking, what did a trip like that cost? Dreaming of doing a hunt like that some day.

chris
I’ll describe that a little more when I get home. Round numbers the day rate was 400Usd. Non hunting observer is 180, but was negotiated away. The cost comes with what you shoot. 400 for an impala, 2800 for an eland. (My eland by SCIstandards was equivalent to a 400 inch elk. )There are 30 species in between the two. There are two Kudu, southern greater and cape . SG is 2500, cape is 1800. They have great Kudu.
The two price standouts are Buffalo and sable. Buffalo is about 15k Sable is10k.
My goal was to get the four spiral horns. We saw hundreds of kudu, my young PH was very selective, lots of Nyala, bushbuck were tough. I missed one and got one. They are there but a month from the rut.
I was concerned a free range operation might not be well stocked. I’ve never seen so much game.
We shared approximately 1/2million acres with another group of three. Never knew they were there. On our last day they shot 3Sable and a Buffalo.
I’m planning a full report, Catherine will help, (she is a published writer).

I assume you ar on your way home soon. congratulations on a successful safari.

Will you spend a few days in London ?

Did you use the same rifle AND bullet for every animal ?

Did you find the 300 H & H before you left and if so did you take it with you ?

If you went again of plains game and could take any caliber you wanted, not necessarily have, what would you take ?

Was no big 5, just a monetary decision or did you not want to hunt them--if you did want to hunt them, which one would interest you the most ? ( for me--Lion )

Did you get a chance to go to that hotel, April likes, at Victoria Falls ?

Did you see any cool Double rifles ? Use any ?

Wow, what a trip, congratulations again, you have certainly both earned it !
I did not find the 300 H&H. Decided last minute to borrow one of Andrews, aHill country 300WM. 180 gr soft points, RSAmanufacture I didn’t recognize. We planned a week before and a week after hunting to tour. Logistical and security problems with the rifle. If I go back I’ll deal with the logistics issues, take my own rifle. I do like that Hill country rifle.
No big five too much money. Saw one pride of lions, about 250 yards.

A note on cartridges; with a few exceptions Eland, Zebra maybe wildebeest Kudu, the fast and flat, 25/06 on up 264wm 270 work well. I had to work with a crazy, half my age, PH dedicated to crawling through thorns to get within 200 yards of anything. I set up for quite a few 400 to 500 yard shots. Before declining the animal. Flat shooting hard hitting is what you need. Actually hit my wildebeest 4times in front of the diaphragm.

The South Africans really like the 300, certainly not the6.5 creedmoore crowd. Eland are huge, Kudu are about elk size, wildebeest are tougher then wood pecker lips. 06 would be fine for most but if I go back it’ll be with a 300 for the reach.
From my PH:
"Wildebeeste are born sick, and every time you put a bullet in them, they feel just a little bit better"

From my PH:
"Wildebeeste are born sick, and every time you put a bullet in them, they feel just a little bit better"
I absolutely believe that. Mine was hit well, he started to wobble then off and running stopped and I hit him again,
Very nice kudu!
Best of luck on the bushbuck!

The spiral horns are on the top of my list too.
My wife's wishlist is the Sable and all 4 colour phases of Springbok.
I've seen three of the four here! Lots of Sable

Originally I thought I had missed my wildebeest twice and hit him twice. I hit him first at 400, three more out to 600 and a little. Not bad for a borrowed rifle😁 I didn't figure it out until the next morning in the skinning shed. We were in a hurry to get pics then go the truck and get back for dinner.

Back