Ruger introduces their second Marlin!

Ya, more compact than the original Guide Gun, and darned near weather-proof.

Love seeing the Skinner Sights on it as well.

I've never seen Skinner Sights before, they look nice. It says they are adjustable, do they adjust for elevation? I checked the manual but Ruger has not updated the Marlin manual to reflect their changes yet.

Wow, and all for the low, low price of $1,349. When I read Ruger had purchased Marlin, I was optimistic. Now, that is no longer the case; I know that Rem-Marlins were selling at a premium right before the end (I dished out nearly $900 for 1894 CSBLKRFBMDXTIPQZTMMNWUCSL, but that was for the wife and it's amazing what love makes us do)... where was I? Oh, yes; that's right -- I was looking for the return of something like a $599 or lower rifle, I suppose.

Sorry to be such a wet blanket.

Okay, the rifle: I like the stainless over laminate and if the final product looks like the website image, it's going to be a handsome rifle. I'm a huge fan of compactness and fast pointing rifles, so the barrel is great. The skinner sights are a definite win. All in all, I think I could find a place for it (pricing aside). Personally, I'd like to see it as a 4+1 and shave a few ounces with a shorter tube. I cannot think of any situation where I couldn't get the job done without the extra round. However, I can see of many instances where I would be carrying it over hill and dale all day and ounces make pounds.

Wow, talk about a heavy cover hammer. Perfect for deer hunting in a swamp, wild boar with hounds, black bear over bait and elk in the black timber. This little thumper has all the bases covered.

JD338

Despite the fact that I have limited interest in a rifle like this, I'd get in line if a buddy offered to let me try a round or two...quick.:) Also, I am very glad to see Ruger put a good quality effort and product out there...really. The marlin name deserves that too. but at $1400 I dont know if I will ever know anyone who can afford one. New or used... But then gas is $5 a gallon.... what did I expect. Still very nice.
As a counter point, we have to try and remember that great grandads rifle was a tool, probably not much more and it was priced accordingly- . You bring that rifle to a gunsmith today and ask him to repair it or heaven forbid, restore it and you will be rapidly past the the value, probably multiple times. Sentiment costs. Lord help us if those things increase in value over time, and they may. Not a bad thing necessarily. Sorry I'm just rambling.... CL

It seems like the production of their initial SBL model is way behind the demand. I'm kind of surprised to see this new Trapper model released at this point. I'd take a SBL @ MSRP if I could find one but most of them are being scalped for $2,000 or so. The Trapper is interesting but a 16" bbl would produce more muzzle flash/blast than I'd like.

It seems like the production of their initial SBL model is way behind the demand. I'm kind of surprised to see this new Trapper model released at this point. I'd take a SBL @ MSRP if I could find one but most of them are being scalped for $2,000 or so. The Trapper is interesting but a 16" bbl would produce more muzzle flash/blast than I'd like.
I suspect that you are correct. I, also, have looked at the SBL frequently with a thought of springing for the rifle.

I had a 44 mag and a 30-30 Marlin an really liked them .
But for that price I'd rather take a bolt action half the price.

I've never seen Skinner Sights before, they look nice. It says they are adjustable, do they adjust for elevation? I checked the manual but Ruger has not updated the Marlin manual to reflect their changes yet.
Yes, the Skinner sights are real popular in with levergunners, and they're made for other types of rifles too - right in Montana!

Can they be adjusted as precisely as a conventional target sight? Probably not, but they look great and work well. I've got a Skinner sight on my 22 Marlin 39A. Love it. Don't have one on my 30-30 or 45-70 yet, and may not. I tend to use those two rifles with scopes.

jF9sA18h.jpg

reDPnSSh.jpg

AAhIMgeh.jpg

Andy Larsson is a great guy, and the family owned sight business is doing well. :)

Regards, Guy

I could really like having a 45-70, love the on game performance the old war horse provides, but I have a very slender build and weigh right around 117 lbs., so I can imagine the recoil knocking me around quite a bit. I've shot 12 GA. slugs out of my Mossberg and can handle it OK, but I think the recoil will make me less accurate. Kinda gotta man handle the 12 GA. to keep it in line. 😁 Plus it bruises my shoulder pretty quick. If I lived in Alaska, I'd take the bruising, but down here it would probably be better for me to get a 30-30 I guess.

Last edited:
I could really like having a 45-70, love the on game performance the old war horse provides, but I have a very slender build and weigh right around 117 lbs., so I can imagine the recoil knocking me around quite a bit. I've shot 12 GA. slugs out of my Mossberg and can handle it OK, but I think the recoil will make me less accurate. Kinda gotta man handle the 12 GA. to keep it in line. 😁 Plus it bruises my shoulder pretty quick. If I lived in Alaska, I'd take the bruising, but down here it would probably be better for me to get a 30-30 I guess.

I was just loading some 30-30 earlier this morning! :) A favorite cartridge of mine even though I seldom hunt with it. Just a real nice cartridge, under-appreciated by many.

Ya, the 45-70 is fun. Fun to load, and can be loaded down real nice and mild, making it fun to shoot as well. Factory "cowboy" ammo is easy on the shoulder, as are many of the handloads in the "trapdoor" section of load manuals. Trajectory like a mortar though! LOL!

Regards, Guy

The beauty of the 45-70 is that you can load it from mild to wild. I've pushed the 405 gr bullet to 1850 and you know when ignition takes place. Load it down to 1400 fps and it's very well behaved and yet it is still a sledge hammer.
The 45-70 is definitely a fun caliber, especially in a lever action!
If recoil is a concern, use the Pachmyer Decelerator recoil pad. It will tame the beast and make shooting the big bores fun.

JD338

Back