Ruger introduces their second Marlin!

You know, I was just waiting for someone to convince me why I should to get one! 🤣 You guys bring up a good point though about being able to load it slow. It's got me thinking...

Hard.
I run a 300 gr BST at 2100 fps and it's a power house load. I've shot Winchester 300 gr JHP at 1800 fps and recoil was pretty tame.
Just something more to ponder....🤔

JD338

Mine has the potted barrel. I'm not sure how effective the porting is but it's loud!

JD338
That's why I swapped long ago from the ported guide gun to the standard 1895 with the 22" barrel & no porting. Those ports were LOUD!

Guy

You know, I was just waiting for someone to convince me why I should to get one! 🤣 You guys bring up a good point though about being able to load it slow. It's got me thinking...

Hard.
Very easy to load the 45-70 down to subsonic velocities, which has both very mellow recoil, AND is pretty quiet even without a suppressor. With a suppressor, the loudest thing heard is the hammer falling. :) Very cool.

Guy

They are a comfortable rifle, natural and easy to carry; I was never very far from mine. I loaded mild ”trap door” loads to familiarize our new guides and to let guests” shoot the rock”. 400gr. Barnes Busters were the duty load. Thats my right leg in the third pic. Just before Pain in the Butt” got a double blast of OC.

Attachments

• 61117EAD-9AF7-4CDF-A2E7-F51F50DE77AD.jpeg
    61117EAD-9AF7-4CDF-A2E7-F51F50DE77AD.jpeg
    529.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 62F0C135-94F5-4DD9-8DB2-7F3FFAFE07BA.jpeg
    62F0C135-94F5-4DD9-8DB2-7F3FFAFE07BA.jpeg
    519 KB · Views: 10
  • B1C0AE12-D86E-4212-A558-36380F36DFF7.jpeg
    B1C0AE12-D86E-4212-A558-36380F36DFF7.jpeg
    652.3 KB · Views: 10
SC,
Great pictures. Those are some close encounters!

JD338

Love the pictures of bears, and especially the close encounters of a bruin kind.(y)

I've never seen Skinner Sights before, they look nice. It says they are adjustable, do they adjust for elevation? I checked the manual but Ruger has not updated the Marlin manual to reflect their changes yet.
Skinner sights are adjustable for both elevation windage but their elevation travel distance is not very far. I have had two sets of Skinner sights - one on my Marlin 336 CS that worked well with the factory installed Marlin front sight; the other was on a Browning BLR Lightweight '81 that I was not able to adjust enough to work with Browning's front bead.

Skinner is though, very upfront about individual rifles which may or may not need a new front sight to go along with their rear. Always worth testing with the factory front sight. I had to replace the front sight on a Marlin 336 30-30 years ago when it wasn't tall enough for the Williams receiver sight I'd installed.

Guy

I remeber when Ken Waters wrote up his first Pet Loads article on 45-70. He used the current version based on tin 336. He dtated that he thought the Marlin would not have a problem shooting the same heavy loads as used in the Ruger #1 and Browning B79/1885 models. I can state without fear that no you can't. Touch off a Ruger level round and the lever would pop right open. Just ask me how I know. That plus the recoil with that curved butt plate told me that one shot was enough. I think the gun that I had may have had a problem. Factory level loads were just fine as were reloads at the same pressure level. Go for anything high and that lever would try to open up. Yraded it off finally one day at a gun show.
Funny story on how I go that gun. One of my co-workers bought it brand new and took it to work. We were lucky as we could do a bit of plinking when on break as long as were were careful about which direction we shot. Well, co-worker breaks out this Marlin 45-70 and loads it and fires his first shot giving a grunt of pain. He handed me the rifle and said to give it a try with a devilish grin. I shot it no problem. He said make me an offer. I had $75 in my wallet and said that's all I have. He took it and that's how I got mine after only two shots through the barrel. It must have hurt him pretty bad to let it go so cheaply. I played with it off and on but finally traded it off. For what I don't even remember.
Paul B.

Back