New rifle build, 264 Win Mag

Slimfinn

Handloader
Nov 28, 2018
Well I have the action, and the stock and bottom metal should be delivered tomorrow.
Here is a list of parts I have decided on so far
Ordered:
Action- Defiance anTi
Stock- Cooper walnut
Bottom Metal- Stainless Steel BDL hinged
Yet to finalize and order:
Scope Rings- Talley Light weight
Scope- Swaro or Leupold
Trigger- Timney HIT or TriggerTech Special
Barrel- SS 24-26" (not carbon wrapped) Undecided open to suggestions

Any thoughts on Barrels? likely go with a 26 and threaded, maybe fluted,

If you gain some extra velocity from the 26" barrel, I'd do that, especially if you can afford to flute it, then it won't be adding much weight for the extra length. I don't know what the recoil is like on a .264 Win Mag, but if it is manageable and you don't want to suppress it, it may not be much help to thread the barrel. I really like what I have heard about Trigger Tech lately, they seem great. Course I've heard great things about Timney as well, who hasn't! Isn't it nice all the great options we have? 😀

Well I have the action, and the stock and bottom metal should be delivered tomorrow.
Ordered:
Action- Defiance anTi
Stock- Cooper walnut
Scope- Swaro or Leupold

Call PacNor in Oregon and see if they still have their 264wm reamer after their rebuild. Awesome people!

Dad bought a model 70 in 264 when we moved to Fairbanks in 1958. Thing was a death ray. Killed a number of sheep and Caribou with it, maybe a moose but I’m not certain. Thought it a tad light for elk but he used it later in life for elk hunts. Seemed to work ok for him. Perfect for mule deer. The man survived Chosin Resevoir during the war. Nothing scared him after that, except grizz. He killed a grizz while sheep hunting one time with the 264, said he never should have started that fight.
Looking forward to your reports on the rifle and your success in the field
I have installed a coupler of trigger techs, they are sure nice.

The man survived Chosin Resevoir during the war. Nothing scared him after that, except grizz. He killed a grizz while sheep hunting one time with the 264, said he never should have started that fight.
D@ng- now there's some wisdom in that advice. And I know nothiin' about bears. Makes me think of that old saw... "beware the man who only owns one rifle...he probably knows haw to use it." Uncle Don had one- bang, flop... Ahead of its time and twist rate, apparently. Look forward to seeing your rifle Slim. CL

My 264 has a 26" barrel on it. Anything 24-26" will work fine in my opinion.

What a great list of stuff you have for the rifle. I recently ordered a Hawk Hill barrel, great to deal with and haven't heard anything bad about them either.

I'm looking forward to seeing your rifle come together! 264 wm is one of those I'm super interested in but can't get myself to pull the trigger on building one. Something about having stuff that already does the same thing :cautious:

Ordered:
Action- Defiance anTi
Stock- Cooper walnut
Scope- Swaro or Leupold

Brux, Bartlein, or Krieger are my top three.
Lilja and Hart are very close to those top three.
I would now go with a Timney over Trigger Tech. I have found the Timney to be more durable under bad dirt/sand/grit conditions

I have had good luck with 2 6.5 barrels from X-Caliber. Those guys are on the top of their game when it comes to button rifled barrels. They frequently have 20-30% off sales. I would start at 26” and if it was too unruly it could always be cut off.

Remind me the uses for this project?
Largest game?
Weight goals with optic?
Distances you want to be able to kill whatever the largest game is or typical primary game?

What are some average MV's with 140 class bullets with a 24 or 26 inch barrel?

I run a 18" 26 Nosler with 147 grain ELD-M's at 3025 fps.
The little bugger shoots pretty good. So far I have only used it to kill and antelope buck around the 550 yard mark.
A friend of mine shooting it:

Xe8rZ2sl.jpg

Remind me the uses for this project?
Largest game?
Weight goals with optic?
Distances you want to be able to kill whatever the largest game is or typical primary game?
Uses for this project? Project initial thought was a short action ultralight mountain rifle. My action choice changed all that. Now it will be a general hunting rifle for the mostly spot and stock Montana hunting that I do.
Largest game? Elk on occasion
Weight Goals? Has changed with the choice of a magnum and the need for a longer barrel, I still think I can stay in the 8-8.5# range
Distance shooting? I will still max out around 500yd for deer size game but not the norm, Elk would be closer to 400

You can go about any barrel length you want and accomplish your killing goals quite easily with a 140 grain bullet, and other bullets as well, as far a that goes.
Even my 17" 6.5-284 runs a 140 grain AccuBond @ 2784 fps, and still has a impact velocity at 500 yards of 2023 fps.
My 18" 6.5-06 runs a 140 A-Max @ 2880 fps. 500 yard impact velocity is 2240 fps. With a 100 yard zero it is 4.5 MOA to 400 and 7 MOA to 500.
Both of these are lesser cartridges, with shorter barrels than you are considering.
That is fast enough for any bullet to work well.
Whether you go with a 18, 20, 22, 24, or 26 inch barrel it will do just dandy for any application you have described.
My 26 Nosler XP with a 18" barrel, running the 147 ELD-M's at 3025 fps is closer to what you can do with a 264 WM with a 26 inch barrel: 6 MOA to 500 yards with a 10mph FV wind is 2.0 MOA. Impact velocity is 2399 fps.

You can go about any barrel length you want and accomplish your killing goals quite easily with a 140 grain bullet, and other bullets as well, as far a that goes.
Even my 17" 6.5-284 runs a 140 grain AccuBond @ 2784 fps, and still has a impact velocity at 500 yards of 2023 fps.
My 18" 6.5-06 runs a 140 A-Max @ 2880 fps. 500 yard impact velocity is 2240 fps. With a 100 yard zero it is 4.5 MOA to 400 and 7 MOA to 500.
Both of these are lesser cartridges, with shorter barrels than you are considering.
That is fast enough for any bullet to work well.
Whether you go with a 18, 20, 22, 24, or 26 inch barrel it will do just dandy for any application you have described.
My 26 Nosler XP with a 18" barrel, running the 147 ELD-M's at 3025 fps is closer to what you can do with a 264 WM with a 26 inch barrel: 6 MOA to 500 yards with a 10mph FV wind is 2.0 MOA. Impact velocity is 2399 fps.
thanks for that info. Now that I have the stock I can look at barrel lengths for a nice proportion

Back