Nope. Not gonna do it.

Ha CL. I have an unopened 8 lb jug of 4831 that I will likely still have plenty left if I live to be 120 because I just don't use much 4831. This rifle would make good use of it, but only a rifle looney could purchase a rifle using such gymnastics to justify the purchase. :LOL:

But daggone, an FN that looks in that shape for that money........................like I said, my resistor was overheating. Didn't go look at it. I know better.

ST,
We all know you want it so scratch that itch. The 300 Win Mag is a fantastic round. 75.0 grs of RL22 with your favorite 180 gr bullet will get you 3000 fps and sub MOA accuracy. That's a good price for a nice rifle.

JD338

This is a test; it has to be. Just to see if I can stay the course. I'm gonna stay strong. :ROFLMAO:

Are you kidding me. It's perfect for hunting out of a blind. You're still going to be 2900+ with a 180 gr bullet. The deer are in deep dark trouble ST.

JD338

Shadetree did you notice if it had a chrome vandium steel barrel? At $450 I'd grap it just because. Looks identical to mine.

Ahhh...you know ya wanna!
You are losing the battle trying to convince yourself that aren't going to do it!!!
So why lay awake at night second guessing yourself...not to mention the years ahead kicking yourself for not pulling the trigger (pun intended!;)).
Like Nike said..."Just do it!"

OK...did I enable enough?!?!?

A 7mm magnum would have been all the rifle I'd ever need. How would I know a .300 Win. Mag would have come along and took my heart with it/

Shadetree did you notice if it had a chrome vandium steel barrel? At $450 I'd grap it just because. Looks identical to mine.

No clue didn't see the rifle in person. Tomorrow, I have to go that direction anyway. Against my better judgement but while I'm that way I might stop in and look at it if it's not sold.

Being a 300 mag and if it's a 22 in barrel could be the reason the price is low. Get good deals like that sometime. Just once you should own a magnum. Dan.

I'd buy it just because it's a really clean FN and I don't have one of those.

Many moons ago, I ordered an H&R in 7mm RM, thinking that it would be an FN 400. When I got the rifle, I was a Santa Barbara action. Those rifles used Fajen Aristocrat stocks. Styling reminiscent of the WEATHERBY/WINSLOW school of stock design. Used it one hunting season and traded it away.

FN Mauser actions rank up there with pre-64 Model 70's for that bank vault solid feel. There's something esthetically more satisfying about those old actions,fitted by human hand and not a CNC machine.

Last edited:
Shadetree if you don't buy it pm me where it's at.

Will do. If I really wanted it, I should've ran after it today while it was still available. When I get there tomorrow, it could be there, could be gone. I figured if it was, that makes my decision for me. A 300 WM is really not a rifle I'm after, but a FN that appears to look like that, for that money, I should at least look at it if it's still there.

I was told buy a gunsmith a fn magnum is hard to find. Another smith told me you won't shoot out a chrome vandium steel barrel. I have 2 of them in 300 wm. I'll bet if you wanted to resell it you could get $1000 for it.

Well, I'll be blunt. The action alone is worth the price of admission. If I didn't already have five rifles in .300 Win. Mag. I'd give that one serious consideration. FWIW, four are Ruger #1s and the other a Winchester push feed I got in a trade. I made the mistake of shooting it and it became a keeper.

If I had to make a choice between that rifle and a pre 64 M70, without hesitation it would be the rifle the OP showed in his post. I'll take an FN Mauser over the pre64 M70 any day of the week and never regret it. A few were J.C. Higgins M50s made for Sear. Only change I ever made on those was change the funky trigger system out for a Timney. Only one of my M50s is purely original and have left it alone. Never have had a problem with the trigger which can get weird if the action screws get loose. The rest of the M50s have had their stocks altered to make them less clubby by previous owners. The one that got me interested in FN actioned rifles was a gift from a friend who has passed on to the that great hunting ground in the sky. He could no longer handle the recoil of the 30-06 due to a bad car accident. He hunter the rest of his life with a .257 Roberts. The rifle he gave me had a custom stock he made and was quite nice. It even fit me well. I sort of took a tumble off a cliff and that stock was broken. It was not repairable. I still have that rifle but now it sits in a Butler Creek stock and still shoots quite well. Other than the custom stock it was an unaltered J.C. Higgins M50 FN Mauser. I still have that rifle and it's not for sale at any price.
PAUL B.

Back