2022 Hunting Pictures

What guns or archery equipment did you use for all of those animals?
Teri uses a Weatherby 30-06 with hand loaded 165 grn Partitions.
My rifle is a Kimber Montana’ 300 win mag, with hand loaded 180 grn partitions . We both have an Antelope doe tag and are trying to fill those with open sighted rifles. This is something we try to do each year with our doe tags.

I did manage to tag a fat doe this evening. One of the members of the church I pastor has an enviable blind set up that allows me to take a deer in comfort. And with the physical limitations coming on me, I need all the comfort I can get. This fat doe came in at last light. I shot her with one of my Model 94 356 Winchesters. She took at 220 grain Speer FN that took out the lower lobe of both lungs. She bolted at the shot, running through some of the thickest bush imaginable. We tracked her for almost eighty yards before we found her. It was amazing to see how far and how fast she managed to move despite such massive internal damage. Still, with the help of a great friend, I found her.

Doe 2022 10 28 (3).jpgDoe 2022 10 28 (2).jpg

I did manage to tag a fat doe this evening. One of the members of the church I pastor has an enviable blind set up that allows me to take a deer in comfort. And with the physical limitations coming on me, I need all the comfort I can get. This fat doe came in at last light. I shot her with one of my Model 94 356 Winchesters. She took at 220 grain Speer FN that took out the lower lobe of both lungs. She bolted at the shot, running through some of the thickest bush imaginable. We tracked her for almost eighty yards before we found her. It was amazing to see how far and how fast she managed to move despite such massive internal damage. Still, with the help of a great friend, I found her.

View attachment 18139View attachment 18140
Congratulations, Dr. Mike. I love to see an older rifle/cartridge put to good use. Good shooting. Dan

Once again we drew our spike tags here in Oregon; a hunch given the unusually heavy October snow paid off. We found the Elk late on day one of the season. Day two found us nearly in a perfect spot at daylight. Some quick adjustments and a little too much running in steep country for this 67 year old, we had three bulls on the ground by 0845 just under a mile from the truck. By 2100 hours we had the meat hanging at the house, Catherine had dinner on the table and life was good.
Some how I lost the picture of the spikes trying to edit it, but I managed to save the picture of the meat pole provided by one of my partners.
Two of the bullls were shot at about 350, broadside with 7mm and Berger bullets. First one took it in the crease, nearly destroyed the far side shoulder. Second one took it at a slight angle, herd was starting to turn away, Hit at the last rib angling forward. Very thankful for the gutless method. What a mess. Yes both elk were dead but what a mess. Mine came further up the mountain, close to four hundred I took him angled away. Looked good through the scope but hit him at the back knee, up through the diaphragm and out the brisket. He went down so I figured I had hit more than leg, He raised his head so I went prone and finished him.
I was surprised when I cleaned up that rear quarter, broken leg and all, bet I didnt loose more than five pounds of meat. Gotta love Accubonds.
338 Jarrett; 250 grain AccuBond, 2985 velocity.

Attachments

• 5E856EBD-C293-4205-8227-498B24EACAE9.jpeg
    5E856EBD-C293-4205-8227-498B24EACAE9.jpeg
    508.1 KB · Views: 4
Teri uses a Weatherby 30-06 with hand loaded 165 grn Partitions.
My rifle is a Kimber Montana’ 300 win mag, with hand loaded 180 grn partitions . We both have an Antelope doe tag and are trying to fill those with open sighted rifles. This is something we try to do each year with our doe tags.
That is way cool.
What I have done with doe tags in the past at times, is to only hunt for uncommon does/horned does.
Are you guys about an hour west of Casper?

That's awesome Mike, congratulations. She will provide many excellent meals this winter.
I wish you were closer Mike, I've got a deluxe blind I think you would enjoy. 😉

JD338

A cartridge I have never used or even fired. I’ve always loved lever actions, need to give them some more field time. Well done.

That's awesome Mike, congratulations. She will provide many excellent meals this winter.
I wish you were closer Mike, I've got a deluxe blind I think you would enjoy. 😉

JD338
This blind is pretty cushy, Jim. Easy chair with a window to open, a bed to stretch out on if one gets tired, a tripod. I definitely felt spoiled. 😳

Excellent, DrMike. Nice shooting, she should make some fine dining.

Sue tagged the buck she has been after this morning with her Matthews Mission Dagger x-bow. We named him Funky because of his non-typical rack. She has seen Funky several times and on two other occasions had the scope on him but wasn't able to get a perfect shot. This morning she had him at 23 yards slightly quartering on and she put a 100 gr Muzzy through both lungs. He went 60 yards and piled up. Funky has 11 points and a split main beam.

JD338

Attachments

• IMG_20221030_103602083.jpg
    IMG_20221030_103602083.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20221030_103735635.jpg
    IMG_20221030_103735635.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20221030_103901680.jpg
    IMG_20221030_103901680.jpg
    983.8 KB · Views: 24
Back