2022 Hunting Pictures

Sue tagged the buck she has been after this morning with her Matthews Mission Dagger x-bow. We named him Funky because of his non-typical rack. She has seen Funky several times and on two other occasions had the scope on him but wasn't able to get a perfect shot. This morning she had him at 23 yards slightly quartering on and she put a 100 gr Muzzy through both lungs. He went 60 yards and piled up. Funky has 11 points and a split main beam.

JD338
Congrats to an unusual looking rack👍

Once again we drew our spike tags here in Oregon; a hunch given the unusually heavy October snow paid off. We found the Elk late on day one of the season. Day two found us nearly in a perfect spot at daylight. Some quick adjustments and a little too much running in steep country for this 67 year old, we had three bulls on the ground by 0845 just under a mile from the truck. By 2100 hours we had the meat hanging at the house, Catherine had dinner on the table and life was good.
Some how I lost the picture of the spikes trying to edit it, but I managed to save the picture of the meat pole provided by one of my partners.
Two of the bullls were shot at about 350, broadside with 7mm and Berger bullets. First one took it in the crease, nearly destroyed the far side shoulder. Second one took it at a slight angle, herd was starting to turn away, Hit at the last rib angling forward. Very thankful for the gutless method. What a mess. Yes both elk were dead but what a mess. Mine came further up the mountain, close to four hundred I took him angled away. Looked good through the scope but hit him at the back knee, up through the diaphragm and out the brisket. He went down so I figured I had hit more than leg, He raised his head so I went prone and finished him.
I was surprised when I cleaned up that rear quarter, broken leg and all, bet I didnt loose more than five pounds of meat. Gotta love Accubonds.
338 Jarrett; 250 grain AccuBond, 2985 velocity.
Congratulations on a fine hunt and great shooting.

Sue tagged the buck she has been after this morning with her Matthews Mission Dagger x-bow. We named him Funky because of his non-typical rack. She has seen Funky several times and on two other occasions had the scope on him but wasn't able to get a perfect shot. This morning she had him at 23 yards slightly quartering on and she put a 100 gr Muzzy through both lungs. He went 60 yards and piled up. Funky has 11 points and a split main beam.

JD338
Congratulations to Sue! She has become quite the huntress. Kudos to you, Jim, for coaching her to this interest and skill level. What a great couple. Dan

JD338
Well done Sue. Does Sue have her own wall in the shop for her antlers?

How many deer can you take in a season?
I own a farm so I get a free any-deer tag for that (so does my wife) and in Missouri you can buy one resident any-deer and 1-2 antlerless tags depending on the county you live in. However, if you want to play the game, you can buy tags and fill up to 2 antlerless tags in the counties that allow it.
Personally, I did what I described above, one any-deer and 2 antlerless, but I'm not buying bunches of tags.

Ron

Yesterday I headed to the woods for the VA early muzzleloader season. This 9 point Came squirting through a narrow opening between two laurel thickets. Stopped to whiff the scent wick and the 50 cal, 250 SST found it’s mark behind the shoulder and passing through, had I needed a blood trail it would have been impressive given the amount of splatter and the puddle. He fell at the shot and tried to stand back up, but never got his feet under him and expired within seconds.
D05F7A99-03B0-4429-BA5C-68E97C6CC41A.jpeg

Yesterday I headed to the woods for the VA early muzzleloader season. This 9 point Came squirting through a narrow opening between two laurel thickets. Stopped to whiff the scent wick and the 50 cal, 250 SST found it’s mark behind the shoulder and passing through, had I needed a blood trail it would have been impressive given the amount of splatter and the puddle. He fell at the shot and tried to stand back up, but never got his feet under him and expired within seconds.
View attachment 18219
He is a dandy. Sounds as if you did the job well. Congratulations.

Back