Rem 788.

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
Put on here I was happy with it before. Right out of the gate just using a load I came up with to try with 46 grains of Varget and using both 150 gr Hornady SP and Sierra GK's loaded to mag length of 2.800 it shot both right at 1.25". Decent enough and consistent with both. But trying some different loaded lengths didn't offer any improvement, and 788's can typically be made to shoot better than that.

Has cheap rings and a Simmons scope that upon farther investigation showed parallax at 100 yds. Was really bad at 50 yds. Don't have time before season to get the rings I want for it, but stripped it down to the receiver, cleaned out the tapped holes and remounted the weaver bases with proper torque. Mounted a nikon pro staff 3-9 I had here, cleaned the barrel again, and loaded up the same load.

Bore sighted it and used 2 shots to get close at 50. Went to 100 and it now shoots much better. Group measured .560. Can't beat em. No messing around installing pillars and bedding them, they just shoot. Move the scope 2-3 clicks to the left yet and it should be set for 1 of my scoped rifles if needed this season. Next yr I'll get good bases and rings for it and maybe see if any tuning can get it under 1/2".

Some rifles feel like killers when you shoulder them and this is one for me. Short barrel makes it very point-able but the heavy contour keeps it well balanced and not light up front. The right length of pull for me, and a quiet and easy safety which I always like. I got $450 in it on trade and wouldn't sell it for $700. I like it.

Last edited:
Love at first sight! A star performer from the get go. (y)

Good trade for me, I like to get rifles that make me not want to get rid of them, and this is one.

I didn't chrono that load and I'm not gonna before season. My calculations say it should do 2750-2775 with that 18.5" barrel, but I don't wanna chrono it and by chance show something like 2650 and my brain says that's not fast enough, instead of just putting the bullet in the boiler room and going and collecting my deer.

Those Hornady SP's aren't particularly tough, should expand just fine without tearing a bunch of stuff up at reduced velocities.

Your target is labeled 56 grains of Varget. That got my attention!

But I see in your text it's 46 grains. Whew! ;)

788's are nice rifles. Should have remained in production.

Guy

Your target is labeled 56 grains of Varget. That got my attention!

But I see in your text it's 46 grains. Whew! ;)

788's are nice rifles. Should have remained in production.

Guy

Good catch, thank you. That's why I keep records and check books. Brain doesn't always work. But I keep a file of targets for reference so I'll cross that out and put the proper weight on it. I have the box that I have loaded rounds in, marked proper. 56 grains wouldn't even go in the case.

Good catch, thank you. That's why I keep records and check books. Brain doesn't always work. But I keep a file of targets for reference so I'll cross that out and put the proper weight on it. I have the box that I have loaded rounds in, marked proper. 56 grains wouldn't even go in the case.
Saw that also and thought you had a 4ft droop tube:DDan.

Kind of hard to find fault with that. Actually, it inspires me to rifle (no pun intended) through my old stuff and see if I have something to use as a project.

Saw that also and thought you had a 4ft droop tube:DDan.

Ha. Figured I better edit that picture since it's on here with incorrect data written on it. Even though nobody would actually be able to follow that charge weight as there would be no way to make it fit. If I'm gonna screw up on what I write down, might as well make it where it wont possibly work.

Kind of hard to find fault with that. Actually, it inspires me to rifle (no pun intended) through my old stuff and see if I have something to use as a project.

(y) I have my wheels turning a bit also for a project for one if I'd happen across one with an abused stock or something making it cheap priced.

Back