H4895

wvbuckbuster

Handloader
Nov 5, 2015
Has anybody seen H4895 on the shelf or online? I haven't for couple of years. Is it being used in a government contract or being loaded by the ammo manufactures to the extent that it's not being made available to the public. Just curious. Dan.

I got a 8 lb jug late 2020 IIRC when it was getting obvious things were tightening up in the supply chain of shooting supplies. Powder had already taken a jump and I paid more then I liked to at the time, $238. That seems like a bargain now. I had a little more than a lb prior to that so I just cracked open that 8 lb'r last fall. Currently using it in two 35 Remington's and a 35 Whelen, none of which I shoot steady. Should last me a while.

Seems to me I remember the 1 shop had some 1 lb cans in with all the other powder they got in new shipments. Can't remember and like most shops around here they are closed on Monday's so can't call to check. But yeah, other than that 1 shop possibly I haven't been seeing it rolling in.

My advice is try a replacement. As FOTIS mentioned the Accurate version of imr4895 is A2495, and is cheaper.

Several years ago the number one powder across the benchrest world for 6BR Norma was Varget. Then one guy shot the smallest 600 yard group in an IBS sanctioned match with H4895 and no one has been able to keep it on the shelf since! Those guys will take out a second mortgage to get it.
I hate to tell those guys, the record setter could have set the record with a handful of other powders because his skill in reading his wind flags, shooting skill and quality of rifle build set the record not the powder.

Yep, it’s a rare as unicorn feathers, a substitute may be in order. What are you loading?
I use it in 35 Whelen, can in 35 Rem. I have couple of pounds that should last awhile and have tried and developed loads using other powders. Was just curious if it was out there and I was missing it. As stated, it's like the Reloader series hard to find also. Dan.

Has anybody seen H4895 on the shelf or online? I haven't for couple of years. Is it being used in a government contract or being loaded by the ammo manufactures to the extent that it's not being made available to the public. Just curious. Dan.
I've seen it . I CAN'T remember exactly where but I've seen some in the last 3 months

Found some Rl 19 on Sunday listed at Natchez. Stuff is pixie dust for my 300HH. Seems I saw H4895 in town here recently. If I see it again I’ll buy it to keep the hoarders from getting it and let you know.

I've been seeing RL19 show up on some places like Natchez. Does really well in my 6.5x55 and 30-06. H4895 covers a broad range of calibers and made for reduced loads as well. Both good stuff. Dan.

I’m down to 3 1/2 lbs of it myself. I only use it in E-Tip loads for my 270 Win. Very accurate and almost 3200 fps. Unicorn dust plain and simple. Lol
Not sure what the recipes are for it but Powder Valley has the Winchester Staball HD in 8lb bottles. Maybe it is close to the RE26

Back