If you were gunna

TexasLife

Handloader
May 24, 2020
So many wildcats to choose from, but......................................................if you were to take something already existing and neck up or down what would you design? Most anything
I would design for would fit into an AR10 platform. If you look at the difference in max psi of 260rem and 6.5creed the nod goes to the creed. That's the only way/reason most choose that cartridge? Now make the creed at equal length to the 260rem and it'll leave the 260 in the dirt. 1st you had the 264wm as top speed demon in 26cal, then 26nos and soon after the 6.5-300wby (as far a release anyway). A short barrel life this 1 would have , but would be a hoot to shoot is a 300lm necked down for 26cal. Or what about a 416ct into a 26cal? Purpose doesn't have to be served, only FUN! Having a beltless cartridge for AR feeding to me would serve better and more effectively/efficiently, also not as hard on the belt by not having 1. What would you do?

At this point is there really anything that hasn’t been done?
Well - it hasn't been done by everyone.

I still use a 30-06. 116 years old. With modern powders and bullets, it is still a great cartridge.

Are there better/more efficient?
Probably.
So what?

I use the Creedmoor. But only because it is available in left hand Savage.
With the old Swede I would burn a bit more powder, but the game wouldn't notice the difference.
My opinion: for the avarage guy within 300 y , you are still dressed well with a 100 years old cartridge.
Our German 8x57 is one of them. And more others than I could list...

So many wildcats to choose from, but......................................................if you were to take something already existing and neck up or down what would you design? Most anything
I would design for would fit into an AR10 platform. If you look at the difference in max psi of 260rem and 6.5creed the nod goes to the creed. That's the only way/reason most choose that cartridge? Now make the creed at equal length to the 260rem and it'll leave the 260 in the dirt. 1st you had the 264wm as top speed demon in 26cal, then 26nos and soon after the 6.5-300wby (as far a release anyway). A short barrel life this 1 would have , but would be a hoot to shoot is a 300lm necked down for 26cal. Or what about a 416ct into a 26cal? Purpose doesn't have to be served, only FUN! Having a beltless cartridge for AR feeding to me would serve better and more effectively/efficiently, also not as hard on the belt by not having 1. What would you do?

I have shot CMMG's version of the AR-10 in 6.5 Creedmoor a fair bit. Nice combo.

Re wildcatting something... I'm one of those guys who believes that we have developed far too many cartridges! :) That said, I'm kinda curious about the 30-06 necked up to 33, 35, or even 375 cal... Ooops. They've all been done! LOL! I dunno. I like lots of cartridges but we've got everything from .17 - .600 pretty well covered... :)

Guy

I've kicked the thought around before but never did come up with anything that was vastly different than something else that was already available. More so now even with better powders and better bullets, oh sure you may need a faster twist barrel and a longer throat, but that's much easier than a wildcat.
Oh and just cause here is a 17-28nosler20220413_201954.jpg

It's been done, but I'd like a 35 Sambar.

Oh, okay, I would like to make a rimless 444 Marlin; I was thinking out of -06 brass. Something akin to a 44 AMP, but with more.

It's been done, but I'd like a 35 Sambar.

Oh, okay, I would like to make a rimless 444 Marlin; I was thinking out of -06 brass. Something akin to a 44 AMP, but with more.
Doing a hotrod 44cal would be nice, but most jacketed bullets would fly apart. Hardcast against a large dangerous animal would be a different story.

While I was considering a wildcat back in the day, on a short fat case, in 375 cal, for a bolt action rifle, it didn't go past this point, and later I went with the 376 Steyr, despite it not being the short fat case.
Still performs nicely and is fun to shoot and hunt with!
The only wildcat in my arsenal is the 250AI, which is virtually the same as the 25 Creedmoor/257 Hillbilly

Doing a hotrod 44cal would be nice, but most jacketed bullets would fly apart. Hardcast against a large dangerous animal would be a different story.
Not so sure. I don't know as it would be any more powerful than a 444 Marlin, but it would be rimless, so you could easily load it in a bolt gun, or a semi-auto. Could you imagine a Garand, but flinging 444 Marlin rounds?:love:

Not so sure. I don't know as it would be any more powerful than a 444 Marlin, but it would be rimless, so you could easily load it in a bolt gun, or a semi-auto. Could you imagine a Garand, but flinging 444 Marlin rounds?:love:
Hey! I'm with ya! Me loves my 44cals! Taking a 44cal to 65k is kinda like a 500mag, but waaaaaayyyy cooler! How about a wssm necked to a 44cal in an ar15 or maybe an ar10 platform! Possible acronym for it could be SCUM (super cool ultimate magnum) ;) 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Back