Factory Ammo primers?

Pineman

Beginner
Dec 20, 2021
Question for everyone: I bought some Federal Terminal Ascents Factory ammo in 30.06 with 175G . I pulled the 175G bullets and used them for my 300WSM for load development. My question is: can I assume since it was Federal Factory ammo that the 30.06 cases that I pulled the bullets from were Fed 210 primers? Or to put it another way: Would Federal factory ammo use Federal primers, Winchester Factory Ammo use Winchester primers, etc.?

I would agree with that. Manufactures claim that they are producing more ammo to keep up with demand causing a primer shortage we are seeing now.

Question for everyone: I bought some Federal Terminal Ascents Factory ammo in 30.06 with 175G . I pulled the 175G bullets and used them for my 300WSM for load development. My question is: can I assume since it was Federal Factory ammo that the 30.06 cases that I pulled the bullets from were Fed 210 primers? Or to put it another way: Would Federal factory ammo use Federal primers, Winchester Factory Ammo use Winchester primers, etc.?
Decap a primer and look at the color under the anvil. Federal is orange for standard large rifle and purple for magnum.
Winchester is green for both large standard and magnum.

Mystery almost solved. I decapped the 30.06 in question and compared it to my Federal primers. The color under the anvil is yellow which matches my Federal 210 OR Fed 210M. I doubt they would put 210M primers in their factory ammo. Thanks for the replies.

Mystery almost solved. I decapped the 30.06 in question and compared it to my Federal primers. The color under the anvil is yellow which matches my Federal 210 OR Fed 210M. I doubt they would put 210M primers in their factory ammo. Thanks for the replies.
Is it yellow? Or orange?
Can you post a pic?

Interesting. Certainly looks like a CCI primer to me. So either Federal is using CCI primers in their factory ammo, or else they use a different run or identifier for primers in their factory ammo than what they do as a stand alone reloading component.

I would presume so for the most part. I would also presume that manufacturers have some form of commercial agreement to help each other out in times of need. Happens in a lot of industries eg vehicles manufacture, banking, technology etc. They will also source parts from each other to fill gaps eg the older Remington Flextips with the green tips were just Hornady SST's with a green tip opposed to red. it wouldn't suprise me at all if ammo manufacturers shared components from time to time under some kind of commercial arrangement

I would presume so for the most part. I would also presume that manufacturers have some form of commercial agreement to help each other out in times of need. Happens in a lot of industries eg vehicles manufacture, banking, technology etc. They will also source parts from each other to fill gaps eg the older Remington Flextips with the green tips were just Hornady SST's with a green tip opposed to red. it wouldn't suprise me at all if ammo manufacturers shared components from time to time under some kind of commercial arrangement
Last year I found an article where the author talked to insiders in the industry and they admitted this happened a lot in the last few years. They all were scrambling to keep up with demand.

Back