10 shot load development

FOTIS":23u3lpw2 said:
Dr. Vette":23u3lpw2 said:
Dwh7271":23u3lpw2 said:
I look at max, go down 1.5-2 gr and load every .2 gr .
Two questions -

Whose max do you believe, given that Nosler and Hodgdon, for example never seem to match?

0.2 seems like an awfully small change for my 7mm or more 300 Wby Mag. I've usually done 0.5gr with other load development for those. Do you vary by a percentage of the size of the cartridge, or 0.2 no matter if it's a .223 Rem or a 338-378 Wby?

bingo! If I used this method in my 30-378 bee I would burn out the barrel before I got through a combo 2 bullets and 2 powders. Besides I am interested in top loads. Who wants a 30-378 that will do 3100 fps with a 180 gr that shoots 1/4"? Not me

I wouldn’t mess with anything that was less than acceptable for you speed wise. That’s the beauty of it. I shoot a single round and reload till I find the spot where I’m comfortable to start. 15 rounds of load work is pretty nice.

Fotis as you've seen except for my 7mmRem most of my hunting loads like yours are near or at max loads for my rifles and I use the 10 shot load test for all of them.
But you have a great knack for getting the most out of your rifles and I can't question your success and envy your skill.

joelkdouglas":3vgtn5ba said:
ttt...so I don't lose the link

I've got you covered buddy. When you are ready we will get it done Joel. It is the easiest no nonsense way to do load work and you don't have to agonize over a 100 groups to find a consistent shooter.

SJB358":2k5uyhrb said:
joelkdouglas":2k5uyhrb said:
ttt...so I don't lose the link

I've got you covered buddy. When you are ready we will get it done Joel. It is the easiest no nonsense way to do load work and you don't have to agonize over a 100 groups to find a consistent shooter.
This is so true, plus you don’t use almost a whole box of bullets doing three shot groups at every .2-.3 grains.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just got back from shooting a 10 shot string thru my 6 Creed and have a question about the results.Here is the string.
44.0gr 2842 ?
44.2 2726
44.4 2732
44.6 2783
44.8 2818
45.0 2818
45.2 2904 ?
45.4 2836
45.6 2849
45.8 2917
I'm not getting the shots w/? at all,brass was all new unfired Hornady,Fed 210 match primers and all weighed charges. Anyone have this happen in a string? Maybe I mis- weighed them but I'm pretty carefull. No pressure signs at all and I' 1 full grain under the Quick load data provided for me.The two 2818s looks like a very flat spot to me.

I think there are a couple
I assume that’s 44. something not 40?
I’d probably reshoot the 45.2 or ignore it as an aberration.
I’d think from 44.8 to at least 45.2 and probably as far as 45.6 is pretty flat.
If you’re not in pressure I’d probably go up just to see what’s there. I’d think there’s another one a little higher (but only if you feel you’re ok going up)

Daa, Yes 44 I edited it.I may reshoot that one as I think I will take it up to within .4 of the QL max of 46.7. I' trying to understand just what kind of spread constitutes a flat spot.I'm going to reshoot 45.0 and 45.2 then wil move up to 46.0 to 46.6

I think you see a little more variation with unfired brass but otherwise I agree with what Dewey has told you.

I’d be interested in seeing the same charges range thru fired brass. If nothing just to compare.

I'm thinking that with new brass, you may have suggestion as to where to look but nothing definitive. Try it again now that you have properly sized brass, and see what you get.

Y'all have convinced me to give this a try. I'm going to load up some 150 partitions with reloder 26 in my .270 win and see what happens. Would it be normal for the shots in that flat zone to be more tightly grouped than the others? Maybe I can then understand the finicky nature of my featherweight.

Yes sir. If you're shooting at a target, they should cluster at the flat spot.
I don't really shoot mine at anything. With the MagnetoSpeed I either shoot into the backstop or ground. All I want are velocities.

Dwh7271":2ihtbyik said:
I don't really shoot mine at anything. With the MagnetoSpeed I either shoot into the backstop or ground. All I want are velocities.
I pretty much just shoot mine into the backstop all your really wanting is the velocity data.

Dwh7271":2he4zf75 said:
I pretty much just shoot mine into the backstop all your really wanting is the velocity data.

Dwh7271":loumm5ah said:

Same here. I might use it to check the scope but I’ve neber really put them on paper with the MS attached.

Bruce, I did a workup with the 150 ABLR and man, it was accurate and I got an easy 3030 in my 22” Rifle. Kinda excited to try it in my little Featherweight as well. Been itching to try out the Trophy Bonded Tipped 130’s I’ve had on the shelf for awhile.

This has my interest but I don’t understand how it corrects for ES between identical loads.

I load 3 shot groups in .5 increments to start, sometimes these groups have single digits ES and sometimes there will be extreme ES spreads of 20-30 fps.

Seems that extreme spread between identical leadings would skew the results of this 10 shot deal

I've used it quite a bit lately and find it really is an effective method..Most recently with the 129 gr SST for the grendel w/Leverevolution. In the end, 8208 was the better choice, but still found an accurate and speedy load with Lever pretty darn quick.

Attachments

• IMG_1874.jpg
    IMG_1874.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 431
  • IMG_1872.jpg
    IMG_1872.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 431
I use it on rifles that are proven shooters...I did it in my 7-300 Win Mag this spring with 180g ELDMs and H1000/RL26. Both shot very well. I ended up going with H1000 and had a 1/3 MOA load verified and zeroed out to 1K in 25 rounds. Later ended up taking first place in an 1100 yard match with it. It does work, but I believe you have to have an accurate rifle to use it. That way flyers will not ruin groups, give bad data, and leave you wondering what's going on and chasing bad nodes. Best of luck!

Back