100g 26 cal BT at 2,200 - 2,400 fps on Whitetail?

HogWild

Beginner
Dec 1, 2004
What are your thoughts on the effectivness of the 100g Nosler BT at 2,200 - 2,400 fps on whitetail? Shots will be under 100 yds and most likely 20 - 70 yds. Think it will expand and penetrate ok or should I use a bit more velocity? Would I be better off using the 100g Partition at these speeds? She may hit the shoulder.

This load will be for my 11 yr old daughter. She tried a 120g BT load at 2,800 fps last year from my 260 Rem but the recoil was a little more than she wanted (10 yr old at the time). I was thinking of using SR-4759 since I have it on hand. Could also use H-4895 if needed.

Shoulder shots with the 100 gr BT might be a little iffy.
When in doubt, its always good to defalt to the Partition. The 100 gr PT will get to the vitals from almost any angle.
The 120 gr BT in the 2400 fps range would also do a great job. This same
bullet and velocity is equal to the 6.5 JDJ Contender handgun which is a 300 yd deer killer.
Best of luck to your daughter this comming season.

JD338

I took a small Blacktail buck with this bullet out of my 6.5x55 at about 40 yards. He was broadside and the bullet entered behind the left shoulder. I recovered the bullet just lying against the right shoulder. It worked perfectly in this situation but I do believe my bullet speed was a bit higher than you are talking about. I might opt for something that would most likely give me more penetration in your situation.

My only experience with this bullet so far but just thought I'd throw it in for you to consider.

At those kinda speeds, I would opt for the Btip. Since its not going very fast at all, it will penetrate just fine, giving great expansion on the whitetails. Even if it does hit a shoulder bone, at that velocity the bullet has time to do its work. The btip will go through whitetails shoulders easily at those speeds. Either bullet will work, but if it was me, I would use the btip.

I shot 2 deer this last year with the 100 BT at 2750ft/s out of my 15" encore. Both less than 50 yards. On the buck the bullet blew up on a rib and did not touch the off side rib cage, but did rip open the top half of his heart. He ran 10-15 yards and fell over dead. On the doe, complete pass through, fell down dead where she was standing. At your velocities I think the BT would be fine, if your daughter is only going to be taking broadside shots. If not I would go with the part.

Back